Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 02:08 PM
    The tactic that worked
    Leave it to the Italians to find a tactic that works in Afghanistan. The Italians grease the palms of the Taliban commanders and what do you get; no dead Italians. Who would have though that such a simple tactic would succeed? No military genius needed there, perhaps that's the problem? Silvio should have been given the Nobel Peace prize for that one.

Well, one day the Italians moved out and the French moved in and being oblivious to the tactic the French got it in the neck. So Obama has the perfect strategy and it can be done without a troop surge or a bulge in the budget. If the Americans want to pacify the Taliban all they have to do is put them on the payroll. It's a lot cheaper than a military solution and who knows they may be able to be paid to do something useful. The tactic should be particularly apparent to Obama, considering where he comes from. If he implemented it he truly would be worthy of the Peace Prize, he could even use the prize to make the first down payment.

NATO troops 'paying for peace' | World Breaking News | News.com.au
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 15, 2009, 02:32 PM

I find it interesting that the Italians fell for the "protection racket"... pay up for protection from the local bosses or you get beat up by the local toughs. Isn't that the same tactic that organized crime uses in more civilized countries?

Do you support organized crime and the protection racket?

I guess you do.

Elliot
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 03:52 PM

A disgrace. The French troops deserved better .
    The world wonders why we like to go unilateral.
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 03:57 PM
    Protected persons
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine View Post
    I find it interesting that the Italians fell for the "protection racket"... pay up for protection from the local bosses or you get beat up by the local toughs. Isn't that the same tactic that organized crime uses in more civilized countries?

Do you support organized crime and the protection racket?

I guess you do.

Elliot
    Look, that sort of thing is business as usual for the Italians, they understand it. You could say it is the family business and expected. The Taliban has some of the aspects of organised crime but is paying the Taliban to protect foreign troops or even Afghan citizens any different to having a standing army and a police force to do it? Morality takes strange twists in exotic places and cultures and it won't change just because you think it undesirable.

It may actually be the solution for Afghanistan, enlist the holy warriors as protectors of the people, For a few million dollars you could secure the whole country, and no doubt for a few more get rid of Al Qaeda once the deal is in place. Is it any different to offering rewards or paying informants?

To get a result in Afghanistan you have to think outside the square and come to grips with the thinking of the people. Conventional military strategy won't do it short of a massive army on the ground, a million men or more, and maybe not even then. A few thousand insurgents don't warrant such a response, but obviously their cause is easily overturned by financial incentives, so hire them as security guards, they are probably cheaper than american contractors and obviously more effective.

The americans are so dumb sometimes.
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 03:58 PM

It may actually be the solution for Afghanistan, enlist the holy warriors as protectors of the people,
    Why not ? It worked so well for the Romans !
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2009, 04:01 PM
    Unilateral?
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    A disgrace. The French troops deserved better .
    The world wonders why we like to go unilateral.
    Yes it pays to keep corruption under control
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Oct 16, 2009, 09:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Why not ? It worked so well for the Romans !
    Uh, yeah, about that...

Didn't the Varangian Guard eventually end up dictating who would be the next emperor of Rome, and in a few cases arrange for "accidents" of a few of those emperors? The 'foreign warriors' who were enlisted to protect the realm ended up controlling the realm.

I'm not sure that we should call it a successful tactic after all.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 10:03 AM

Yes that is exactly what I meant. I was waiting for someone to question the comment.
    Ultra Member

Oct 16, 2009, 12:51 PM
    Foreign control
    Uh, yeah, about that...

Didn't the Varangian Guard eventually end up dictating who would be the next emperor of Rome, and in a few cases arrange for "accidents" of a few of those emperors? The 'foreign warriors' who were enlisted to protect the realm ended up controling the realm.

I'm not sure that we should call it a successful tactic after all.

Elliot
    I don't know It has worked fairly well for the US so far.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 18, 2009, 08:13 AM
    I find it interesting that the Italians fell for the "protection racket"... pay up for protection from the local bosses or you get beat up by the local toughs. Isn't that the same tactic that organized crime uses in more civilized countries? Do you support organized crime and the protection racket?

I guess you do.
    Hello Elliot:

Dude! I guess you didn't support the dufus when he did exactly the same thing in Al Anbar.

As a matter of fact, the reason the surge worked is because we used MONEY as a WEAPON in Al Anbar. Didn't you read about it... Here's a database of the payments. Interestingly, it includes WHO we made the payments too. Most were in Al Anbar Province. Whatdya know about that?

Money as a Weapon (washingtonpost.com)

excon
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2009, 01:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello Elliot:

Dude! I guess you didn't support the dufus when he did exactly the same thing in Al Anbar.

As a matter of fact, the reason the surge worked is because we used MONEY as a WEAPON in Al Anbar. Didn't you read about it... Here's a database of the payments. Interestingly, it includes WHO we made the payments too. Most were in Al Anbar Province. Whatdya know about that??

Money as a Weapon (washingtonpost.com)

excon
    Hey, ex, that's a list of condolence payments, a payoff for killing someone's kin there is even a payment of $10 demonstrating how much the US values life. No doubt they are doing the same in Afghanistan but they need to step up the war to get the money to the population

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Really being sued or scare tactic? [ 1 Answers ]

I received a letter today from an attorney that is representing Capital One. The letter states that "A lawsuit is being filed against you...You should be receiving a summons and complaint from the court in the near future". Along with that letter is another document that has the letterhead from...

Lived and worked in NY, lived in NJ worked in NY in 2007 [ 6 Answers ]

I know I should probably get an accountant for my takes this year, but I figured I would ask. For the first part of the year I lived and worked in NYC until August when I had an apartment in both NYC and NJ :( . Then for the rest of the year I lived in NJ and worked in NYC. I also started paying on...

F1 on CPT worked in MA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on F1-visa from india. I worked on CPT in Boston for 2 1/2 months. My wage is 8280 Federal held 1334.89 Ma state held 434.89 I study in NM and my wages for all the year including above one is 19,230.

How is cot worked out [ 1 Answers ]

1*(0.6+cot(180/44)) The Above Equation Is Bugging Me As I Do Not Know What Cot Is, Could Some On Please Help Me Out

View more questions Search