Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brijmohan123456 Posts: 41, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2012, 11:00 AM
    Find the opposite force?
    See the following case;
    A stone of mass 5 kg falls from a 50 metre height and buries 1 meter deep in the sand.find the average resistance offered by sand and the time it takes to penetrate
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 17, 2012, 03:05 PM
    You can use energy principles to find the force F. The PE of the mass 50 meters in the air is give by PE = mgh. When the stone drops to the ground that PE is converted to KE. And for the sand to stop the stone the work done is Fd, which equals the KE. You have values for m, g, h and d, so solve for F.

For the time it takes to penetrate there are a couple of ways to approach it:

1. Calculate the velocity with which the stone hits the sand, and then use and solve for .

2. Calculate the acceleration of the stone in the sand from F=ma, and then find t from .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Find the retarding force [ 1 Answers ]

A hammer of mass 1kg moving with a speed of 6m/s strkes a wall and come to rest in 0.1 sec. In this question if we are asked to find the retarding force that stops the hammer then why we will divide 6 by 0.1 to get the retardation force

How to find a force exerted on a block by another? [ 0 Answers ]

If F = 5.0 N,and a force (25N)exerted on the blocks and it's opposite to F which is also is exerted on the to blocks, what is the magnitude of the force exerted by block 2 on block 1? m1=2kg m2=3kg any help please!

How to find the average force in physics [ 2 Answers ]

A 410 mL spherical flask contains 0.075 mol of an ideal gas at a temperature of 335 K. What is the average force exerted on the walls of the flask by a single molecule? how do you find the average force? Do I use pv=nrt equation?

How To Find Net Force [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, so I have an object and they tell me to first find the net force, I know net force means the sum of all forces, they say that the mass of the object is 1.0kg, and it travells ant 5.0m/s and that it enters a region of ice where the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.10(that part confuses...

Find force of gravity, normal force, and net force in Physics [ 6 Answers ]

A crate of mass m (=10 kg) is placed at rest on a (frictionless) inclined plane, which has an angle (= 30 deg ) above horizontal 1. The force of gravity on the crate is? 2. The normal force on the crate is? 3. The net force on the crate is? 4. How long would it take the crate to slide 8 m...

View more questions Search