Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eddie_boy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2009, 07:37 PM
    How To Find Net Force
    Okay, so I have an object and they tell me to first find the net force, I know net force means the sum of all forces, they say that the mass of the object is 1.0kg, and it travells ant 5.0m/s and that it enters a region of ice where the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.10(that part confuses me:confused:) they tell me to find the distance the object travels before coming to a halt. So I drew a diagram with all the forces Fg-gravity Fa-acceleration Ff-friction Fn-natural how do I find the Net Force? What is the natural force(if there is any)

I added the Fa+Ff and got 4.9 do I include Fg and Fn?

Please and thank-you
    Nhatkiem Posts: 120, Reputation: 9

Oct 21, 2009, 07:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie_boy View Post
    okay, so i have an object and they tell me to first find the net force, i know net force means the sum of all forces, they say that the mass of the object is 1.0kg, and it travells ant 5.0m/s and that it enters a region of ice where the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.10(that part confuses me:confused:) they tell me to find the distance the object travels before coming to a halt. so i drew a diagram with all the forces Fg-gravity Fa-acceleration Ff-friction Fn-natural how do i find the Net Force? what is the natural force(if there is any)

i added the Fa+Ff and got 4.9 do i include Fg and Fn?

please and thank-you
    Lets try to tackle this one question at a time.

Its good you know the net force is just the sum of all the forces, that's great! It seems though you are confused as to the DIRECTION of these forces.

We know it is traveling at a speed of 5m/s as soon as it enters the platform of ice. The coefficient of friction that is told is what ultimately gives us the information of kenetic friction, which will stop this 1 kg object :D.

On your diagram, you should have pointed down, pointed in the opposite direction of the velocity vector! (This implies the negative acceleration where is the force of friction). And its not the "Natural" force, it is the Normal force, usually this is the force that is opposite of gravity (This is what allows an object like a ball to bounce). should point in the opposite direction of .

Now using to find the decelerating force where is the co efficiency of kinetic friction.

Then you can use to figure out what the acceleration is, and use the your kinetics formulas to find out the stopping distance!

When you have finished the above, you should know , just find (This is your displacement or stopping distance).

If you need more help, just post a reply and I'll see what I can do.

Oct 21, 2009, 08:05 PM
    Okay, so you say Fn (normal force, my bad) equals -9.8?
    And to find the net force I add all the forces together, right?

Oct 21, 2009, 08:10 PM
    okay, so you say Fn (normal force, my bad) equals -9.8?
    and to find the net force i add all the forces together, right?
    Acceleration is not a force ;). If , then
    So we get (Note that g is negative, so -g is positive!)

And yes you add

Oct 21, 2009, 08:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nhatkiem View Post
    Acceleration is not a force ;). If , then
    So we get (Note that g is negative, so -g is positive!)

And yes you add
    oh okay thanks!

Oct 21, 2009, 08:27 PM
    oh okay thanks!
    Great! Hope you found what you were looking for :cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Find force of gravity, normal force, and net force in Physics [ 6 Answers ]

A crate of mass m (=10 kg) is placed at rest on a (frictionless) inclined plane, which has an angle (= 30 deg ) above horizontal 1. The force of gravity on the crate is? 2. The normal force on the crate is? 3. The net force on the crate is? 4. How long would it take the crate to slide 8 m...

How to find force needed for takeoff in a plane. [ 6 Answers ]

While waiting at the airport for your flight to leave, you observe some of the jets as they take off. With your watch you find that it takes about 34.9 seconds for a plane to go from rest to takeoff speed. In addition, you estimate that the distance required is about 1.6 km. If the mass of a...

Gravity force vs inertial force [ 3 Answers ]

Does Einstein's theory of relativity say that there is anyway to experimentally measure a difference between a force experienced by gravity and a force experienced by acceleration ?

Force, Work how to determine force without accelration [ 3 Answers ]

I know we're not supposed to post up the full question but I figured it would just be easier to explain it. A 350 kg piano slides 3.8 m down a 31 degrees incline and is kept from accelerating by a man who is pushing back on it parallel to the incline. The effective coefficient of kinetic friction...

At what value of Force, can we feel the effect of gravitational force between objects [ 2 Answers ]

PLEASE READ THE WHOLE QUESTION AND THEN ANSWER At what value of Force, could we feel or see the effect of gravitational pull or force between two objects. E.g. 2 pencils kept at a very small distance (r) exert a force (F) on each other such that they are pulled by each other and stick to each...

View more questions Search