Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    art297 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2012, 12:16 AM
    I need to change my motherboard How can I use my hard drive without reloading windows7
    I need to change my motherboard. How can I use my hard drive as is without having to reload windows 7 again?

Philip
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 28, 2012, 12:35 AM
    Assuming the new Mobo is the Same model and config as the old it should be fine, otherwise be prepared to do a repair on your OS install..
    art297 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2012, 02:40 AM
    Thanks for your reply Curlyben

I am changing from a Gigabyte M68MT-S2 socket AM3+ with a AMD 3 core Processor to a Asus Sabertooth 990FX socket AM3+ with a AMD 6 core Processor. I know that I will have to re-acttivate my windows 7 professional op. Also will have to redo the mobo drivers from the new mobo driver disk. And do a back up. I just do not want to lose all the software, programs, documents, photos... ect and have to reinstall everything.

Philip
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 29, 2012, 08:49 AM
    Do you have your Windows CD? If so, if Windows does not boot after installation of the mobo, then boot from the CD and run an upgrade or repair. You should not lose anything that way, but you should back up your data before doing this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to change the bios of DH55PJ Motherboard [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I currently own the following Intel system, Operating System System Model Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (build 7601) Install Language: English (United States) System Locale: English (United States) Enclosure Type: Desktop Processor a

Reloading Windows XP [ 2 Answers ]

I needed to redo my operating system, I had a virus. I formatted my drive using SpotMau, made another partion. When |I when to load windows XP using the install disc I get the blue screen as soon as it says "setup is starting windows". I though it was a ram problem but have swapped ram around and...

Transferring My CDs onto my harddrive/into Mp3 format [ 3 Answers ]

I do have a computer at home and would like to know how to transfer my CDs onto my hard drive and then transfer them to my MP3 player. I have Windows 98 ,A Pentium lll I also have Windows Media Player Will this work?

Windows 98/Harddrive Question [ 4 Answers ]

Good Morning, If anyone would be able to assist me I would greatly appreciate it. My PC just stop powering on all of a sudden. I was wondering if I can just go by another hard drive or do I have to install a brand new mother board all together. In addition, is there anyway I can retrieve data...

View more questions Search