Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    imagine26 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2003, 02:07 PM
    Zero Launch Angle
    A diver runs horizontally off the end of a diving board with an initial speed of 1.75m/s. If the diving board is 3m above the water, what is the diver's speed just before he enters the water?

When I worked out this problem, I came up with an answer of 7.67m/s. The answer at the back of the text- book was 7.87m/s. I was wondering where I came up short? I used the equation to find the landing site 'x' to come up with an answer of 1.37m. I used this value with Vx(initial) to figure my time (which = 0.78s). I then used the 0.78s in the Vy=-gt to come up with 7.67m/s.

Any help would greatly be appreciated!
    loeyuey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 06:23 PM
    you did the problem right, but you are only taking into account the y component velocity. Use pythagorean theorem to add the x and y component velocities to get the total velocity. So 7.67^2 + 1.75 ^2 = v^2 solve for v.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Program Launch LAGS w/ 99% System Idle [ 8 Answers ]

I have an in depth problem. I'm using a small laptop that I upgraded from 256Mb to 512mb of ram. I am running some pretty large programs (adobe creative suite) but my system more than meets their requirements. I recently have tried Mcaffe Virus Scan Enterprise, and Avast as anti-virus' (turned...

Shower Floor Angle [ 2 Answers ]

I am building a cermaic tile shower. What is the angle of the floor for the water to drain into the drainage plumbing? Is it for example 1/4" for every three feet? Thanks, Mike.

Can't Launch a CD on My Computer [ 1 Answers ]

Have a Panasonic CF-47 Toughbook with Windows 98. I want to view some pictures on my CD but when I launch the CD from My Computer, I keep getting the message: D:\ is not accessible; The device is not ready. Retry. Well, I retry and nothing happens. I might mention that I have Kodak Easy Share...

Lav drain angle to wall? [ 2 Answers ]

New lav -want to put it 6 feet away from old location-How much slope do I need to the wall drain outlet? To put it another way- how far above the wall outlet does the outlet from the trap have to be? Thanks

Firefox quick launch? [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to have Firefox browser in the quick launch at the bottom right side of screen, like Netscapre does? My PC is very slow , so faster it opens the better.

View more questions Search