Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    felixman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 09:30 PM
    I have a plumbing question
    I have a half bath down stairs, house ia on a slab. I lifted the toilet and saw the metal hold down ring at the sewer wax ring is rusted bad. It may not hold the toilet in place any more. Can that piece be changed fairly ease.
    Nmow Posts: 27, Reputation: -1

Jan 26, 2013, 10:14 AM
    YES! With some peeling and scraping it should fit on right, replace the bad wax ring. And be sure to set toilet back on anchors correctly.
    When scraping I would use a putty knife.
    Let me know if this answers your question.
    Thanks,
    NICK
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 26, 2013, 10:23 AM
    If you want to "beef" up the toilet flange then purchase a flange repair kit, (see image), Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 26, 2013, 03:53 PM
    The question was posted from way back in February, 2010, so I am afraid we are too late to help here.

However, with that being said, I don't understand your answer to the question Nick (Nmow)? Felix asked, "Can that piece be changed fairly eas(ily)"? Your reply did not answer that question in any way?

Here, it sounds like he has a rusted metal flange.. could be cast iron on a cast iron flange, or it could be a metal ring on a PVC or ABS plastic flange. Tom (Speedball) answered onw way on how to beef up/repair a cast iron flange.

I'll post the answer on how to fix a rusted metal ring on a PVC or ABS flange and that would be to purchase a new CLAMSHELL (or BIVALVE) type of replacement ring (see images). All Felix or anyone reading this post needs to do in the future if they have the issue is to remove the screws holding the old metal ring in place and then cut the metal ring off using a pair of aviation snips and then slip the new replacement ring right into place and screw the new flange down tight.

That should do it... ;)

Mark
    Attached Images

Jan 26, 2013, 04:51 PM
    "However, with that being said, I don't understand your answer to the question Nick (Nmow)?? Felix asked, "Can that piece be changed fairly eas(ily)"? Your reply did not answer that question in any way?"

Mark (massplumber2008)?

I mis-interpreted the question?

Sorry
    Nick
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 27, 2013, 08:54 AM
    No problem, Nick... just wanted to be clear for future readers is all! You wouldn't believe how many people will look this question up over the years ahead!

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 27, 2013, 09:20 AM
    "Can that piece be changed fairly eas(ily)"? Your reply did not answer thquestion in any way?"
    Sure it can, You drill and peel out then lead and oakum joint and install a new one. But the OP isn't complaining about a broken flange, He's complaining about a rusted one that still works and if it ain't broke why fix it. Which makes this n3 year old thread way out of date and makes Nick a "nitpicker" for questioning Marks answer. This thread is closed! Tom

Jan 27, 2013, 02:54 PM
    "Which makes this n3 year old thread way outta date and makes Nick a "nitpicker" for questioning Marks answer. This thread is closed! Tom"

When did I question Marks answer??
    I apoligized for posting an innacurate answer. How is this "nitpicking"??

Thanks,
    Nick
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 28, 2013, 05:36 AM
    I think Tom is looking at the question marks you put on your reply to me, Nick, but no big deal as I have seen a few of your other posts and can see that you are only here trying to be helpful!

As I noted at a previous post (not sure you saw it) stick around and see how we do things around here... you'll figure us out and see how well the plumbing page is managed/watched over soon enough!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ask a plumbing question [ 0 Answers ]

My tub faucet lets cold water volume flow nicely but when turned to let hot water in it dribbles rather than flows. My kitchen sink faucet was doing the same thing but then it corrected itself and now has flow from hot and cold position but tub does not.

Plumbing question [ 3 Answers ]

My house was built in 1959. In the master bathroom we have a standalone shower. The shower faucet is starting to crack pretty bad and we cannot find a replacement. It’s the type where you have to turn the knob to turn on the water, and the temp lever is behind it. The only word on the casing is...

Ask a plumbing question [ 3 Answers ]

I had a water supply line burst and caused damage to my condo and the unit downstairs. My question is. Is it a common thing for a water supply line to burst? It looks like it separated from the base (part that screws into the water valve). This is a real old condo 27 years old. I'm not sure...

Plumbing Question [ 1 Answers ]

My toilet is not clogged but when flushing it gurgles and will not go down.

Plumbing question [ 7 Answers ]

Can someone tell me if I can tie a new shower drain line.(a second shower) Into an existing kitchen sink drain line? The kitchen sink line runs about 25FT. To the main drain line, the shower line would be about 10ft. From the main The kitchen line is 1 1/2" shower 2" and the main 3" schedule 30 ...

View more questions Search