Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Doggyguy Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Feb 26, 2009, 05:27 PM
    Will castration stop him growling at other boys?
    My labrador boy is sometimes a bit growly with other boy dogs and puts his hackles up sometimes. He is three years old and entire. I haven't had him castrated yet because I would never let him mate and his balls haven't caused any problems like humping/escaping the garden for a . I know you lot will recommend I get him done anyway but my question is this... will getting him castrated at this late stage improve his attitude towards other boy dogs or have I left it too late for castration to change him now?
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Feb 26, 2009, 06:26 PM
    One of my cats is always bullying the other two and neutering didn't change him at all. I'm not sure if dogs are the same way, but neutering doesn't usually change an animal's personality, if they are naturally aggressive, chances are they will still be aggressive after neutering.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 07:51 PM

Neutering can make a big difference in aggression, especially if most of that aggression is put towards other dogs of the same sex. There have been a number of studies on this, and all of them say the same thing. Yes, it still applies to your 3 year old. Also, you should be getting him neutered anyway as his chances of medically related issues arising increases with age.

Now, there's the other side of the coin. Since your dog has created a habit, you should be using a combination of neutering and training techniques. You can call in a trainer to work with you and your dog on this specific problem, which is different that going to obedience classes in a group.

This is a problem you can solve. From your post, it doesn't sound like your dog's issue is really severe yet. However, it's now time to make sure that not only doesn't it get worse, but that you take the steps to make it better. Good luck to both of you!
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Feb 26, 2009, 08:34 PM

Neutering can make a big difference in aggression, especially if most of that aggression is put towards other dogs of the same sex. There have been a number of studies on this, and all of them say the same thing. Yes, it still applies to your 3 year old. Also, you should be getting him neutered anyway as his chances of medically related issues arising increases with age.

Now, there's the other side of the coin. Since your dog has created a habit, you should be using a combination of neutering and training techniques. You can call in a trainer to work with you and your dog on this specific problem, which is different that going to obedience classes in a group.

This is a problem you can solve. From your post, it doesn't sound like your dog's issue is really severe yet. However, it's now time to make sure that not only doesn't it get worse, but that you take the steps to make it better. Good luck to both of you!
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 26, 2009, 08:36 PM

I agree with Linnealand that neutering can certainly reduce aggression. If you have ever seen a pack of dogs that have been spayed or neutered, and introduce one that hasn't been, the whole pack becomes unbalanced. Dogs that have not been aggressive prior, may become aggressive towards the dog that has not been altered. Also, if you put two un-neutered males together, one is going to immeditely try and establish his role, and it will often be played out with aggression.

The health risks for an unaltered dog, such as cancer and other illnesses, far outweigh any risks. You will have a much happier dog, and will not have to worry about the chance that he may get out just that one time, and find a female that is in heat.

Neutering your dog is just a far better choice from every aspect, and has been proven that it can lengthen his lifespan, and increase the quality of his life.

Also, it doesn't matter if he is of the age of neutering, usually at 8 months of age, or if your dog is 10 or 12 yrs. Old, as long as this is approved by your vet. At the age of 3, this isn't a problem.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Feb 27, 2009, 12:09 AM

Also, how do you react to this problem? Do you pull him away, hover over him, try and soothe him with loving behavior? Do you yourself get tense around other dogs, even if its because you know how he will react? There are a lot of little things that owners tend to do that unknowingly worsens the problem. A lot of our actions cause the dog to feel insecure and even more tense, or it makes them feel like that are doing the right thing. If you hover over the dog any, grabbing a hold of the collar or such, it can feel like you are joining in and make them more amped. A lot more bad behaviors then we realize are inadvertently caused by the things we do.
    Doggyguy Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Feb 27, 2009, 04:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverfoxkit View Post
    Also, how do you react to this problem? Do you pull him away, hover over him, try and soothe him with loving behavior? Do you yourself get tense around other dogs, even if its because you know how he will react? There are a lot of little things that owners tend to do that unknowingly worsens the problem. A lot of our actions cause the dog to feel insecure and even more tense, or it makes them feel like that are doing the right thing. If you hover over the dog any, grabbing a hold of the collar or such, it can feel like you are joining in and make them more amped. A lot more bad behaviors then we realize are inadvertently caused by the things we do.
    I pull him away and tell him off, but not very strongly. I don't get tense because he has never actually done anything apart from growl/raise his hackles. How should I react when he does this?
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Feb 27, 2009, 12:37 PM

How is he in the home environment? How do you interact every day without the aggression concerns. I'm trying to establish who the dog actually sees as pack leader. Many people think that they are the boss without understanding the small things a dog does that aren't "cute" or "loving", they are signs that say I'm top dog.

Being pack leader is a stressful job. The dog feels as if he has to protect and guide the pack, and that's a lot of responsibility for one dog. Furthermore it makes them insecure. A dog needs to be able to rely on their owner for guidance and protection. This can create numerous behavioral problems.

One suggestion that may be helpful is that if you see a person walking their dog and he gets tense, abruptly turn and walk the other direction for a few feet, then turn around again and proceed forward. Every time you see any sign of tenseness or aggression, repeat the process. You may even want to consider recruiting a friend or neighbor for this exercise. Stay calm, and in control. He needs to feel that you are in charge and he has nothing to worry about.
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 27, 2009, 01:40 PM

I agree that is a situation where the dog is the pack leader, and not the human. The pack leader status needs to be established, and it's never too late gain this status. One of the reasons it is so important to have your dog neutered, figures right into this.

If you watch an un-neutered ferrel dog, or a wild dog, they will fight to the death for their position in the pack. The aggressive and dominant males and females, will fight other submissive dogs to gain this position.

With your dog, you have to work to gain pack leader status. When this is established, you will never have to worry about your dog disobeying your commands. Your dog will see you as the boss, and therefore follow your lead. It's all about exercise, disipline, and then tons of affection... in that order! You will be happier, your dog will be happier, which in turn makes everyone happier.

Here is a video if you are interested.

Cesar Millan - People Training For Dogs

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Would you call this abuse or rape or boys being boys?AND AM I ALONE? [ 27 Answers ]

Grew up in a home where I didn't get much love/affection and I 'fled' perhaps, by dating only one serious boyfriend from age 16 - 26 (can you say LOSER?) who permitted me to sneak out at night to see him midnight until 2am at 16, who isolated me--alienated my friends, ran off other guys I was...

Castration vs. Vasectomy in dogs [ 4 Answers ]

I was thinking of getting my dog neutered, but I don't want to castrate him. I'm already not wanting to do this because he's already an extremely mellow animal, so I was wondering, does getting a vasectomy yield the same results in terms of mood change? I mean, seeing as he's already so calm and...

Hissing and growling [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 21 week old Himalayan kitten. NuNu is her name. My friend just a male himalayan, Cyrus is his name. I had NuNu spayed 3 weeks ago. We have introduced them last Sat. My friend and I live in the same apartment complex. We would like for our kittens to be playmates, but NuNu seems to...

My pup keeps growling [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new dog owner, and have found a great rescue puupy, but he has been growling at strangers randomly when my husband and I are on walks. He is only 4 and a half months old and was delivered by the people at the rescue, but acts like an adult attack dog when certain people approach him. Most...

Growling [ 4 Answers ]

This seems to be a silly question, my 10 month old pup does not growl, even during tug of war games, cleaning ears, cutting nails, play fighting with other dogs. She does a lot of happy "talking" she's very very vocal, she's 3/4 lab 1/4 shepherd, is this normal? I'm with her 24/7, and not once has...

View more questions Search