Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MSTech Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 05:38 PM
    Is it legal to fine a salary employee
    I am a salaried employee of a computer consulting firm. My contract states that my salary is fixed, however as such I am required to accomplish 30 billable hours per week, however does not discuss penalties.
    My company has now enacted a "policy" that states if any customer complains and the complaint is substantiated, they will credit them one hour of labor and the technician will be fined $100 to be deducted from their next pay.
    Is this legal in any way, shape or form?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2010, 08:38 PM

If this is not in your contract you can object and most likely hold them to it.

Of course if there is a complaint and it is proven valid, most likely that person will not be there for long if it happens often.

So how many complaints are you getting,

What does your contract say about you doing substandard work ?

Feb 5, 2010, 09:23 PM
    Chuck,
    Thanks for answering so quickly. There is no clause in my contract that discusses complaints, etc. I give excellent service to all of my accounts, but one of the bosses visits the accounts regularly and, of course if their bill ($125/hr) seems excessive they may complain. 99% of my accounts are VERY satisfied, but that's not the issue. The question is
    Can an employer legally fine a salaried employee for a complaint that they deem justified?
    I've already determined that an hourly employee can be docked as long as it does not take the below minimum wage. (I"m not sure if that means daily/weekly or pay period).
    Can they legally fine me if I'm salary with no overtime and if it was not in my contract?
    Thanks,

Feb 5, 2010, 09:23 PM
    Chuck,
    Thanks for answering so quickly. There is no clause in my contract that discusses complaints, etc. I give excellent service to all of my accounts, but one of the bosses visits the accounts regularly and, of course if their bill ($125/hr) seems excessive they may complain. 99% of my accounts are VERY satisfied, but that's not the issue. The question is
    Can an employer legally fine a salaried employee for a complaint that they deem justified?
    I've already determined that an hourly employee can be docked as long as it does not take the below minimum wage. (I"m not sure if that means daily/weekly or pay period).
    Can they legally fine me if I'm salary with no overtime and if it was not in my contract?
    Thanks,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary VS Waged employee in NY [ 1 Answers ]

In NY If I am a salaried employee and I miss work can my pay be deducted? I just moved from CA where that was not legal but the state of NY seems to not have laws in place that protect their employees like CA does.

Salary Employee Laws [ 4 Answers ]

Is it legal for the employer to deduct hours from a salaried employee, even though the employee has worked more than eight hours a day everyday and never received overtime pay, do to the fact that he/she is salary only. The employee wants to leave early one day of the week and employer threatened...

Can I Take An Employee from Salary to only Hourly [ 1 Answers ]

We have an employee who exhausts her salary pay by only getting less than lets say 32 hours or more sometimes a week. She is nonexempt and gets overtime for anything over 40 hours. She has assistance on the overtime and never does it alone. Can we change an employee from salary to hourly only.

View more questions Search