Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ckristin1963 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2006, 02:24 PM
    Buying a house
    I am currently looking at buying a home and it's an older home that has been mostly updated. Except for of course, the plumbing. The basement still has the old cast iron pipes for the sewer... Would this be very expensive to replace. The house has about 1500 square feet of living space. I know nothing about this type of work and would like to know a round about figure before I decide to buy. IF anyone could help it would be appreciated. Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 16, 2006, 04:58 PM
    There isn't any one, no matter how sharp he is, that can estimate your job without being there to see what he's up against. Get three estimates and average them out for a ball parki figure. Also ask if there's galvanized water piping because that's will most likely go bad before the cast iron does. Good luck, Tom
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2006, 06:47 PM
    I would ask is there a problem with the pipe, my parents house has the cast iron in the home ( replaced underground from roots years ago)
    But I estimate that those pipes will still be great when I am long gone.

My home about 25 years old has cast iron drain all the way to the septic tank, and they are still great.

If they are leaky but just because they are old, don't mean they are bad.
    As for as the drain pipes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F-1 Visa & Buying a House [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend (British citizen) has just received her F1 visa for graduate study starting this August. We are considering buying a house together in the area where she will go to school (I work in the area). She wouldn't be on the mortgage, but would be on the deed (she would essentially be...

Buying a house question. [ 2 Answers ]

What is the name of your state? Oregon I need to some help. There is a house with some property that been vacant for over two years now. When to my local county court house to get information on it. What I found out is that there is back taxes on the house (2003,2004,2005). There was a...

Chapter 7 and buying a house [ 8 Answers ]

I filed chapter 7 in May of 05 and was discharged in July of 05. I have been pre approved for a 171,000.00 house. I am trying to get a FHA loan with no money down and 100% financing. I haven't met with the mortgage folks yet but my question is will my chapter 7 prohibit me from getting this house....

Buying a House [ 3 Answers ]

So my husband and I put an offer on a house. Since that time we have had the inspection and appraisal. Today we found out that not only was the previous owner letting his son stay there, but that there is actual damage caused by this person. What course of action do I have in this matter? Should or...

View more questions Search