Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zulfi63 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2006, 04:44 AM
    Buying condoms
    When you are at a shop to buy condom pack... n so many people standing there... how will you ask the shopkeepwe to avoid embrassement
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2006, 04:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfi63
    when u r at a shop to buy condom pack.... n so many people standing there... how will u ask the shopkeepwe to avoid embrassement
    There is no need to be embarrassed. Sex is perfectly normal and wanting to be safe is to be commended.

I used to get embarrassed about buying condoms, Tampons etc - but you will find that no one will even batter an eyelid at it - it's a very normal thing, so please please don't feel embarrassed.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2006, 05:13 AM
    Hi,
    Depending on where you are located, there are some restrooms with condom machines. You can buy in privacy.
    Of course, they are more expensive, being about $1 for one, here in our local area.
    You can get over being embarrassed, by simply forcing yourself to pick up a box, walk up to the register, don't say anything, pay for them, and leave. It gets easier the second time. It's no ones' business but your own. Best of luck.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 24, 2006, 05:30 AM
    Well, you have to look at the alternative... do you think your embarrassment going to the doctor and explaining why in these days of high-risk, you had unprotected sex with someone and are now paying for it for the rest of your life?? Or, take a few seconds of your time to openly reveal to people that you are a healthy, sexually active person who is conscious of the risks and are doing something 'preventive' to secure your future health and that of others.

If the person behind the counter is a parent - I'm sure that they will respect you more for being cautious than someone who might be a danger to his/her children. Besides, in their job, they surely don't imprint your single purchase into their memory - even if so, you should not be concerned about what they think, but what you are doing for your own safety.

Jbear Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

May 26, 2006, 02:54 AM
    Once you know what brand you like, you can buy a big box so that you don't have to buy them as often. Not all brands fit the same, and some are much thinner than others, so you shouldn't buy a huge package until you've bought a smaller package and tried them first.

If they're keeping them behind the counter and there are a lot of people around, try to be specific when you ask for what you want... for example "a box of Durex spermicidal condoms" rather than "some rubbers" will cut down on how many questions the shopkeeper has to ask. Remember, the clerk at a store doesn't care if you're buying condoms or not and won't remember later on. The other people in the drugstore are there to buy equally embarrassing items... tampons, hemorrhoid cream, wart remover, pregnancy tests, etc... so they're not going to be studying what you're buying.
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

May 26, 2006, 06:58 AM
    I will eventually have to make the hard decision as a parent weither to buy my child condoms or not. I can tell you this now I hope that I don't have to and that they wait until they are older to have sex, but this day and age I'm not going to say they won't and I'm not going to say that I have any control over their decision to have sex, but I hope that I will have the kind of relationship with them that they can come to me and ask me questions. I guess what I'm trying to say is when in doubt ask a parent or someone you respect and then if your brave enough to have sex then you need to be brave enough to protect yourself from std's.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 26, 2006, 07:01 AM
    Why not buy them online? Just make sure the packaging is plain. :)
    Unless, y'know, you need them right now.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 26, 2006, 09:13 AM
    There is no need to be embarrassed, you just buy them. Also many stores Walmart, most drug stores at least in our areas have them just on the shelf.

Also for ladies out there, don't depend on the man to buy them, or buy a brand or type you may like, he does not use them alone ( words from a new commerical) while I am always for no sex outside of marriage, if you do, alwaYS use a condemn. And no shame in buying them.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 26, 2006, 09:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    while I am always for no sex outside of marriage, if you do, alwaYS use a condemn.
    As typos go that one is awesome. :)
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

May 27, 2006, 03:04 AM
    Hi,
    Why you are getting embarrassed while buying condoms. It is so natural now a days. If you are not feeling comfortable asking to the shopkeeper in front of other customers write it in a piece of paper and give to the shopkeeper. The shopkeeper irrespective of their gender will understand your concern and will give you what you have asked as they are keeping it for sale. You can write even the brand name to avoid confusion.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 27, 2006, 04:37 AM
    Why don't you just go to a drug store and they have them on the shelves that you can take them on your own. No asking anybody and pay it at the pharmacy cash not the regular till. That might help you be more comfortable. I know it did for me. Unlike going into a small store who's condoms are hung up on the wall behind the clerk. Arg, that is bad.

Joe
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

May 27, 2006, 12:08 PM
    The thought came to my mind, after Jbear mentioned credit cards, and NeedKarma suggested the online purchase..

TO ALL SEXUALLY ACTIVE YOUNG FOLKS: If I were your parent, and you were upfront with me, I gladly go online with you and help you locate good condoms and pay for them with my credit card. I am a parent who has been there, done that, and certainly think more about your health and well-being than who you plan on having sex with or when. I'll even go to the store and purchase them for you, if you ask me to. But I think it builds confidence and character if you make such personal purchases yourself - and you can do it.

Goodness... we are not dead and we do understand what you are going through. And any parent that does not think the same way will only risk losing your child - by chasing them away, or through a disease you could have helped to prevent with proper guidance, support, and awareness. Kids are going to 'do it' with or without your help - you can't stop them, so at least make sure they are doing it safely. Simple as that.

It's not what you say, but how you say it. So, parents - speak to your kids.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

May 27, 2006, 02:42 PM
    I agree with what everyone has said... there is no need to be embarrassed. Clerks in drugstores ring up all kinds of "personal" items all the time, and they really don't care one way or another. And from personal experience, strangers in line at a store are very self-absorbed with their own issues, getting their purse out, getting through the line quickly, etc. Most of the time they aren't even going to notice what others are doing or buying.

The other thing is, depending on where you live, there may be agencies where you can get free condoms (and free lube as well), such as at an anonymous STD clinic. I used to work for such an agency, and they had baskets of condoms in the waiting areas and also the washrooms. No one cared or even looked if you took a large handful. These agencies often have a nurse or a social worker who you can speak with as well, and they will give you a package of condoms to take home. If you go to high school, college or university, there is often a student clinic with free condoms and free birth control / STD advice available. So you have many options.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

May 27, 2006, 03:24 PM
    I can understand the embarrassment. My first job was in a drugstore. One day I took a call that asked if we sold any. I was 15 and pretty naïve and didn't know the word so I had to hollar to the back and ask the pharmicist to take the call about something called prophylactics? :eek:

The whole place cracked up and of course I nearly died when someone had the heart to let me in on what was so funny. :o

You should consider this a well earned rite of passage that comes with having responsible sex (Good for you, by the way!).

So I say "Stand tall when you ask for them!!"

And when you survive the first time, then you'll know just how much it is a survivable event too. :p
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

May 27, 2006, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by valinors_sorrow
    So I say "Stand tall when you ask for them!!"

And when you survive the first time, then you'll know just how much it is a survivable event too. :p
    Exactly!

I think the problem is in the original attitude: "...without feeling embarassed."
    Why should you feel embarrassed about this? I mean, the condoms are there to be sold. Just like sugar, milk and what not.

It's kind of like that weird shy attitude people have when they're at someone else's table, having dinner (or something) with them, where they feel shy to "eat a lot". I mean, if there's food on the table, than it's there to be taken and eaten. It's not there to be looked at and left alone.
    ndx Posts: 79, Reputation: 21

Jun 18, 2006, 07:24 PM
    I personally think, no offence, if you are not mature enough to buy a condom, then your not marure enough to have sex. I know it can be a sketchy assumption, hell you can have a fear of shops, but I think, if you were serious about having sex, and serious about safety, then you would class that as more of a concern than if someone saw you buying them.

Anyway, its just a piece of rubber. If its making people awear that your sexually active that your worried about, when people have been having sex since... well, forever... then, you really should try to get over that :D

Best of luck, and remember its just a box, full of plastic things. Some covered in flavours. Its all so inocent.

(Ps, if your that worried, try buying the extra large ones, and try and look smug, it will make you feel better ;) )
    Jbear Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2006, 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ndx
    (Ps, if your that worried, try buying the extra large ones, and try and look smug, it will make you feel better ;) )
    Don't buy the larger ones if you don't need them. It may make you feel more comfortable buying them, but when it's time to actually use them, you'll look funny with it on, or it will fall off inside your partner.

A little more advice about condoms:

Buy enough that you can practice putting one on in private before you need to use them, so you aren't fumbling around.

Make sure you leave some space at the tip. Otherwise the condom may burst when you ejaculate.

After you ejaculate, pull out right away, holding on to the rim of the condom. (Your penis shrinks a little bit right away, and the condom can fall off inside your partner, dumping its contents inside of her.)

Bring more than one condom when you get together with your partner:) You may get lucky more than once, and you can't reuse a condom.

If you have a condom mishap, encourage your partner to get the morning-after pill (sometimes called Plan B). It must be taken within 72 hours after a condom mishap or unprotected sex to be effective. Some places where a prescription can be obtained are her gynocologist, a clinic like planned parenthood, or an emergency room.
    briansthings Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jan 1, 2008, 01:24 PM
    HI, Most major department stores have them right out on the shelf to buy and I don't think there is any age requirement for buying them. Check Walmart and the other big stores like that back in the health products area you will find condoms on the shelf for sale.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 1, 2008, 01:46 PM
    Thread closed due to dates.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Buying a used pool [ 1 Answers ]

I am buying a used pool from someone and want to know if tearing it down and then putting it back up will some how damage the pool. I will have to buy a new liner the guy said. It is a 24' by 48 above ground. Thanks for any information I guess Im wondering if I should just buy a new pool and...

Buying a new old mower [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have a friend that is selling a walk behind 33" cut mulching mower to me. It has a 8.5hp engine on it and double blades. The make is a Troy Built, but I don't know the model. It looks like a heavy duty front cut with the caster wheels. I'd like to know more about this mower and a fair...

Condoms and the kenyan clergy [ 5 Answers ]

Hi Father chuck, I recently watched a program on condoms and HIV in Kenya. I was saddened when I realized that many Kenyans(and I am sure many across Africa) did not understand that the church's apathy to condom use was that it promoted promiscuity,since it seems to suggest its all right to have...

Buying a House [ 3 Answers ]

So my husband and I put an offer on a house. Since that time we have had the inspection and appraisal. Today we found out that not only was the previous owner letting his son stay there, but that there is actual damage caused by this person. What course of action do I have in this matter? Should or...

Need help - buying a snowboard... [ 1 Answers ]

I want to buy a snowboard and want to know what size should I get. I am 6.1" I am tired of paying 40+ bucks for the rental... Or is it my personal preference? Thanks :)

View more questions Search