Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jennaaa_87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2014, 02:38 PM
    Boyfriend wants to break up for school
    My boyfriend and I have been dating for 6 almost 7 months now and the new school year starts up in about a month. He just told me today he wants to break up before school because he made a promise to himself when he was little that he was going to keep senior year to himself with no girlfriends. Both his older brothers had a girlfriend all during their senior year and he doesn't want to do the same. So my boyfriend said we can still talk and hangout and do things together all the time, but he wants to be free and be able to talk to other girls. And I asked him how he was going to be able to say he loves me one day then go and talk to a bunch of other girls the next and he said I would be fine and we would talk later and in person instead of on the phone. So I don't know what to do. If we still talk and hangout everyday and he still says he loves me then talks to other girls I don't know what to think. And I don't know what to do. I want to say something to him like "promises can be broken, and if you really love me you wouldnt break up with me" but I feel like that's too harsh. Someone help and give me advice!
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jul 21, 2014, 02:45 PM
    He should have told you this when you first started dating then it would not have been a surprise.
    Don't Let him keep you hanging on a string while he dates others. Let him have his break up and you move on. You may meet someone you would like to date who won't keep you as a backup. How old are you?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 21, 2014, 02:45 PM
    A boyfriend can't talk to other girls?

Will he go to college next year? Then what?
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jul 21, 2014, 02:49 PM
    I think he wants the freedom to see and date other girls, which is fine but don't keep her on a string waiting and hoping.
    It is not likely he will tell you he loves you while he's dating other girls. Break up and leave him alone.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 21, 2014, 02:52 PM
    People do this a lot (for different reasons) as a way to say 'I still like and care about you' but want my freedom, or have to study harder, or whatever. It's supposed to lessen the hurt, but it rarely does. Don't forget that YOU don't have to put up with this just friends routine. Tell him no, it doesn't feel right, and you will avoid him senior year, if that is less painful for you. Short pain, long pain, take your choice. I'd take the short pain. In fact why not make it a mutual breakup, so you don't have to put up with questions from friends?

'if you really love me you wouldnt break up with me' is just not meaningful. He doesn't love you enough to stay.
    As for promises, the world is a long, long string of broken promises, as I'm sure you know.
    Save true love for the day when you realize that it has nothing to do with words. It has to do with things like endurance, patience, compromise, understanding, and taking turns holding each other up during tough times.
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jul 21, 2014, 03:03 PM
    I agree joypulv. Have to spread some rep.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jul 21, 2014, 03:07 PM
    This may sound harsh but the harshness is not directed at you. I realize this is not what you want to hear, but you should walk away and forget trying to be friends with him during the school year if he keeps up this nonsense.

Do you get to talk to other males? I know you probably think you wouldn't want to because he is the one you want, but if he gets to play so do you.

Frankly, he doesn't love you if he thinks he can keep you waiting for him and accepting any scraps he throws your way while he plays the field. Do you think he would only talk to girls during school? Do you think there are other females just waiting for him to be 'single' so they can be Miss Next?

It may start out the way he says it will but soon when those other girls respond and he decides it's okay to hang out with them or go to a movie or whatever you will be left on the shelf with his other toys. You deserve better. You deserve a boyfriend who really does care about you not an adolescent promise to think with his hormones instead of his heart.

I, personally, would walk away from him even if he did reconsider. Sometimes love isn't enough. He has already shown you that he doesn't have the same feelings you do or he wouldn't have said what he did. I know it hurts but letting go and giving yourself a chance to heal is better for you. There is someone out there who wants to be with you.

If he has these thoughts about his senior year, do you think he will really want to get back together when it is time for college?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2014, 03:18 PM
    He loves you, but not enough to want to remain in a committed relationship. And that's okay... It hurts and is confusing right now, and there isn't any way to get through it quickly, but to just go through it and give it some time. If being just friends won't work for you, then let him know, wish him well for his senior year, and focus on your friends and activities before school starts back up again.

As you go through this next school year you will likely meet other guys who interest you.

Part of dating is getting to know different people until one day, perhaps, you will find someone that causes you not to want to date anyone else and they will feel the same way. You will quite likely date several different guys until that time.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 21, 2014, 03:28 PM
    Why would you let a boy who dumps you tell you such NONSENSE as I Love You,and why would you even hangout with him after being dumped? That's makes no sense so, smile sweetly, say okay, and leave him alone and have better things to do than be one of many girls he talks to, or another one just like the other ones.

Talaniman Rule- When you get dumped, disappear from their life, and get one that you enjoy without them.

Forget being hangout buddies, chat buddies, or ace boon coon friends. Especially after just a few months. Then you won't be confused, used, and abused or left, and stranded from false hope, or unrealistic expectations, or seeing an ex get it on with another chick, and being devastated.

All that smooth confusing stuff he is talking about was just letting you down easy, so take the hint.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 21, 2014, 07:12 PM
    He just wants to break up with you.. he is making up a silly stupid excuse, because he does not want to be honest about it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend started to break up, now wants break [ 6 Answers ]

I have been dating my boyfriend for 8 months--our relationship has been flawless. We never fight--just the occasional argument, or being annoyed with each other, but never any major problems. I get along with his family great, his mom wants us to get married, and his friends like me too. The...

My boyfriend started to break up, now wants break [ 0 Answers ]

You can't make anyone love you - I am concerned about your "absolutely perfect" language. Maybe you are "absolutely perfect" by your standards but not his. He has very clearly expressed his feelings - I think you now need to stop contact, let him decide if/when/where he wants to reconnect...

My boyfriend want to take a break because of school, but I'm confused! [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have been dating for 1 year and a month. We just finished with our first year of college; I got really great mark but he got a 2.4 that cost him his scholarship. His parents were thinking of how to pay for college and one of the possibility was to send him back to his country but...

High school, Can't break up with her... In a revolving door relationship. [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am 18 years old, so is she. We are both seniors, and prom is coming up. We are sexually active. We have been dating for about 7 months now. These are the problems with our relationship 1. I am going to college far away, and she is going to college near here. 2. I do many...

View more questions Search