Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dman1998 Posts: 28, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2014, 12:43 PM
    Is it OK to be in love with your step sister?
    I have a step sister and she is super pretty we were kind of talking before my dad and her mom got together. Then when my dad and her mom got together it kind of ruined it. Well she just recently had her wisdom teeth pulled and I went and laid by her. We held hands and then the next day she said that I made her feel uncomfortable. So basically what I am asking is it OK to be in love with your step sister?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2014, 12:45 PM
    You won't have two headed cyclopses... but its going to make you an object of ridicule in most cultures... can't you find someone you aren't related to even by marriage?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 18, 2014, 12:49 PM
    Yes and no. It's OK to feel feelings for a step sibling, and you aren't related by genetics, but it's not OK to act on them as long as your parents are involved, living together, or married. You are minors and as such have to do what your parents want until you are 18. When you are both 18 (in the US anyway), you can act on your romantic attraction.
    If I were you I would talk to someone about this before it gets out of hand. It isn't incest, but can result in a lot of grief for all of you. Is there a parent or relative or another adult in whom you can confide?

Jul 18, 2014, 12:54 PM
    joypulv Thank you for your reply! I am really scared to confront someone about my issue because I know everyone will turn on me.
    current pert

Jul 18, 2014, 01:05 PM
    How old is each of you?
    Is this one sided love (given that she was uncomfortable)?

Jul 18, 2014, 01:07 PM
    joypulv
    we were kind of talking before my dad and her mom got together.
    I guess in a way but we were kind of talking before my dad and her mom started dating
    current pert

Jul 18, 2014, 01:17 PM
    That has nothing to do with anything. You don't get first dibs or anything. They are MARRIED, right? And you all live together? Will you answer my other questions too?

Jul 18, 2014, 01:21 PM
    joypulv
    No they are not married. No we do not all live together. She is 16 and I'm 15.
    current pert

Jul 18, 2014, 01:23 PM
    Then you are not step siblings.
    You didn't say what her feelings are toward you...

I'm going to make an assumption based on you not answering: you are in love and she isn't, or at least you haven't a clue what she feels other than uncomfortable when you lay next to her.

You really, really need to nip this in the bud. Stay away until you can curb your feelings. If your parents talk about marriage or moving in together, and you still feel in love, then tell your parent RIGHT AWAY, and make arrangements to live with a relative.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 18, 2014, 01:24 PM
    Obviously things have changed and you know she is uncomfortable and it will cause problems and freak everybody out. Best I think to stay within the boundaries of good behavior and keep it brother/sister. Kind of talking way back when doesn't count any more.

Get my meaning? It's not okay to make a stepsister uncomfortable. Bottomline.

Jul 18, 2014, 01:27 PM
    joypulv
    Yeahh I'm not sure what her feelings are.

talaniman
    Yeahh I completely understand what you are saying. You are not helping just by telling me to let go I am looking for ideas to help me do just that.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 18, 2014, 01:34 PM
    Why is she uncomfortable? You are not step sibs.

Jul 18, 2014, 01:37 PM
    Wondergirl
    We pretty much are now cause her mom and my dad are together. I don't live with them, but my dad does.
    current pert

Jul 18, 2014, 01:40 PM
    Forcing yourself to stifle love isn't easy. There are no 'ideas' like there are for exercising or learning to swim or losing weight.
    1 - You tell yourself you are not alone, millions have to suffer it.
    2 - You keep busy - school, jobs, reading, taking extra courses, sports, hobbies, learning a new skill, volunteering, getting a pet.
    3 - You sit and THINK about the consequences of obsessing over someone who doesn't want you ('unrequited love'), and in this case, you think about the consequences of this even if she were to love you back.
    4 - You realize that life is hard, this is a good example, there will be many more, and you tough it out, figuring you will be stronger as a result.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 18, 2014, 01:41 PM
    Where do you live? with your mom? And how often are you with your dad?

Jul 18, 2014, 01:44 PM
    joypulv
    I feel like you are getting snotty with me and I do not appreciate it. Thank you have a GREAT DAY!
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

I didn't say let go. I specifically said stay within the boundaries of good behavior. Treat her like a sister and not a love interest, and don't make her feel uncomfortable. If you practice that every day you gain control over your feelings in a positive way, and will have no regrets, guilt or shame for thoughtless actions, or freaking anyone out.

There are no quick fixes to dealing with your own feelings, just a solid plan of good behavior you practice over and over until it becomes natural. We humans cannot control what feelings we have, but we can darn sure control what we do about them and the way we act.

Wondergirl
    I live with my grandparents. I go to my dads about every other weekend. Another weird thing is that she always lays her head on my shoulder.
    current pert

Jul 18, 2014, 01:46 PM
    WOW, I was so totally sympathetic! Oh well, BYE. Could care less now.

Jul 18, 2014, 01:46 PM
    talaniman
    Yeahh that is a very good point. It is just hard because she like lays her head on my shoulder and stuff so should I tell her that when she lays her head on me it makes me uncomfortable?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I'm in love with my step sister [ 16 Answers ]

I'm 11 and she is 5 months younger. We met a few months back, I have 2 other step sisters, I love her but we haven't said anything about it. She has shown signs that she likes me. I think our parents think there's something between us. Advice? What should I do? Back off or pursue?Thanks,Hunter

Been secretly in love with my step sister my whole life... [ 15 Answers ]

I am a 29 year old guy. I met my step-sister when I was about 13 years old. Back then I didn't realize just what I felt for her and when I figured it out a few years later it terrified me so I kept it to myself. She never knew just how insane it made me seeing her with other guys (Mainly my friends...

I love my step sister too much [ 4 Answers ]

right this is hard when I was 14 years old my step sister was 19 and we used to be really close but before our parents got married I fancied her but now we are so far apart I can't explain it I still love her like a real sister but we argue all the time help

What to do if your in love with your older step sister [ 10 Answers ]

Hey, about a year ago my mom got custody of my new step sister. She is 17 ad I am 13. I am really in love with her! I don't want to be though. Sometimes I masterbate over her. I go to sleep every night wishing she would love me back. We are very close, we tell each other every thing I even told her...

I love my step-sister [ 9 Answers ]

Hi I'm survivor987 (dan) Well I'm going to get down to the point. My dad and my step mum got married a few months ago and they have been together for about 3 years and I have known my step-sister since then and I have always had a crush on her and I love her so much, I masturbate over her...

View more questions Search