Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brooky1234 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2014, 04:00 PM
    Boyfriend troubles
    Okay so I'm new at this posting my issues online thing. I guess I can start with my boyfriend and I have been together for three years now. We have two children. One from a previous relationship and one together. He is a good dad, but not so much of a good boyfriend. He is very selfish and only thinks about himself. He never plans anything for us as a family to do, but always leaves whenever he gets the chance so he can hang out with his friends. We work opposite shifts so we already don't see each other a whole lot. We rarely have sex, usually once every two weeks, but sometimes it is every three weeks. He would rather spend time with his friends than spend time with myself and the kids. I find myself home a lot with the children, even when he is off he leaves to go hang out with friends. He will even break plans with me to see his friends. I don't think he is cheating or anything like that. I just feel he is very inconsiderate of me and my feelings. I express my feeling about all of our issues, or what I think is an issue and he completely blows me off. I mean I'm not a sex freak or anything, but what guy only has sex with his girlfriend every few weeks? Half the time I try I get turned down and he NEVER initiates sex EVER!! Ive been thinking of breaking up with him because I just don't feel I am being treated right. I want a boyfriend who wants to spend time with me and the kids, wants to have sex with me, and isn't such an . I don't think that is too much to ask. I guess what I am looking for here is a little back up maybe? Someone to help me decide whether to stay in my relationship or not. Im not happy more than half of the time, I express my feeling and he tells me "it is what it is".
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 30, 2014, 04:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brooky1234 View Post
    1. He is not so much of a good boyfriend.
    2. He is very selfish and only thinks about himself.
    3. He never plans anything for us as a family to do.
    4. He always leaves whenever he gets the chance so he can hang out with his friends.
    5. We don't see each other a whole lot.
    6. We rarely have sex, usually once every two weeks, but sometimes it is every three weeks.
    7. He would rather spend time with his friends than spend time with myself and the kids.
    7. I find myself home a lot with the children, even when he is off he leaves to go hang out with friends.
    8. He will even break plans with me to see his friends.
    9. He is very inconsiderate of me and my feelings.
    10. He completely blows me off.
    11. He NEVER initiates sex EVER!!
    12. I just don't feel I am being treated right.
    12. I'm not happy more than half of the time.
    13. I express my feeling and he tells me "it is what it is".
    Again, your question is? (I would have left yesterday.)
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 30, 2014, 04:13 PM
    You already have the answer.

You try to talk to him about it but it doesn't seem to be important enough to him to talk to you. There isn't much left. You stay and deal with being treated like this or you leave. He doesn't sound like he is going to change.
    brooky1234 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2014, 04:16 PM
    Yeah, I guess you are right. I don't even know how to bring it up, and end it all. We have so much together. A dog, the kids, the bills, I can't afford our place alone, and neither could he. But I guess these are not reasons to stay. More so excuses not to leave...
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Jun 30, 2014, 04:19 PM
    Tell him how it is and that you are leaving because you and the kids don't seem to be important enough for him and he is immature. Maybe then he will want to talk but keep this in mind...I've seen this before. he might be willing to talk, tell you he's going to change...and then in a few days or weeks, slowly go back into doing what he was doing.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 30, 2014, 04:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by brooky1234 View Post
    Yeah, I guess you are right. I don't even know how to bring it up, and end it all. We have so much together. A dog, the kids, the bills, I can't afford our place alone, and neither could he. But I guess these are not reasons to stay. More so excuses not to leave...
    Would he go with you for couples' counseling? Even just three sessions?
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jun 30, 2014, 05:24 PM
    Ask him about counseling. If he still says it is what it is, leave. Sounds like he does not care one way or the other. Not a good relationship to be in.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 30, 2014, 05:30 PM
    And, I bet he has a list of things he does not like.
    And after three years, while it is best with someone like him, why no talk about needing a HUSBAND.

He sounds like he has never matured, and you have just allowed the behavior also.
    Wesleyrey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 30, 2014, 07:33 PM
    Brooky, if he breaks up dates to hang out with his friends it's not a good boyfriend. You are better off with another boy
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2014, 07:52 PM
    I never cease to be amazed by people who think someone is OK to move in with, have a child with... but aren't good enough to marry, then wonder when there are problems they have been seeing all along.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 30, 2014, 08:29 PM
    You need a plan that start with a place you and the kids can afford and an order of child support, and when you are ready, move.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I do? Boyfriend troubles [ 8 Answers ]

Basically I've been going out with my boyfriend for nearly 3 months and we did rush it a little bit at the start but it then got better, in the second month everything turned upside down, one day he asked me if I'd been talking to another boy and told me his name (Joe) and asked if I'd been asking...

Boyfriend troubles. [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, where to start? I have been with my boyfriend now for 4years. I am in love with him, but recently I can't answer why I am. He's in the Army, but just before he went in we had split for a few month then sorted things and were back on track, however I had a gut feeling he had cheated, so became...

Ex boyfriend troubles. [ 3 Answers ]

I have this guy that I'm completely in love with. We dated for almost three years but it wasn't all easy but what relationship was. We started having problems toward the end, and at the time I was living with him and three of his buddies and going to school. So I started confiding in my boyfriends...

Ex Boyfriend Troubles [ 4 Answers ]

So my ex boyfriend broke up with me almost 2 weeks before our 1 year (he was my first almost 1 year).. To be honest it hurt like hell.. I did the normal girl stuff and texted him randomly almost everyday for two months then he had enough and told me to lay off and stay out of his business (he...

Boyfriend troubles [ 7 Answers ]

OK so me and my boyfriend have been dating for like 9 months and we had a really good relationship at first a lot of partying and stuff when he had his own place. Well he moved home and grew up really fast getting really responsible about school. I just turned 21 and have a lot of partying still...

View more questions Search