Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tlm_jr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 11:18 AM
    Setting up an estate after death of mother
    My mother recently passed away and did not leave an estate. My question is: can one be set up with no assets in it for the purpose of collecting a survivor benefit? The benefit will only be paid to a spouse(none), a child under 25(both children are over 40) or the estate(one does not exsist).
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2009, 11:22 AM

Welcome to AMHD. Yes, you will need to go to the 'probate' court in your mother's last residence. Check this: "What is an 'estate'?

The term "estate" consists of all the property a person owns or controls. This property may be in his or her sole name, held in a partnership, in a joint ownership arrangement, or through a Trust, and all other monies that would be generated on the person's death, such as through life insurance. It includes: http://law.freeadvice.com/estate_pla..._is_estate.htm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to deal with sudden death of your mother? [ 30 Answers ]

Im 14 on the 26 of December 2007 my mum suddenly died of a heart attack I was only 13 . Now I have just passed the one year mark and am approaching my birthday I am finding it hard to cope. Do you have any surgestions . She was only 38 :'(. Life seems so much different now . Living with my...

Setting up an estate account [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: My wife and I received an Estate check after her mother died; that just happens to be made out to her mothers estate. Was wondering about opening an account or depositing the check? Her mother did not leave a will...

Life Estate vs Death Date House Inherited [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and her two sisters inherited their farther's house and no will was left. Their farther remarried after their mother died about 25 years ago. The farther died 12 years ago with no will. The sisters agreed to a life estate with the stepmother until she moved or died. She moved out of the...

Bankruptcy of an estate after death [ 1 Answers ]

Can an estate file bankruptcy after the death of a widow. Or do the surving children have to pay the debt?

Adoption and Bio Parent's Estate (after death) [ 4 Answers ]

After being adopted and your bio parent dies... without having a will... are you legally entitled to any of the estate? :confused:

View more questions Search