Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oakleaf2001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 04:32 PM
    Bankruptcy of an estate after death
    Can an estate file bankruptcy after the death of a widow. Or do the surving children have to pay the debt?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 09:37 PM
    I do not believe an estate can file bankruptcy. What is an estate? "1) all that one owns in real estate and other assets. 2) commonly, all the possessions of one who has died and are subject to probate (administration supervised by the court) and distribution to heirs and beneficiaries", and creditors. You may want to speak with the judge of the probate court where the widow lived, or an attorney familiar with probate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Death while in bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

What happens if a person is in bankruptcy and dies before the debt is discharged?

Ex husbands debt and certain bankruptcy. How will that affect our real estate? [ 6 Answers ]

My ex husband has a lot of unpaid debt that occurred after he was put on a very long administrative leave without pay. He has creditors calling him and I am certain that soon they will file a civil case against him. If they file a case against him can they take the house that we both purchased...

Adoption and Bio Parent's Estate (after death) [ 4 Answers ]

After being adopted and your bio parent dies... without having a will... are you legally entitled to any of the estate? :confused:

Bankruptcy and Real Estate [ 7 Answers ]

My sister and her husband have filed for bankruptcy. They are losing their home And land. Their land adjoins my property. The land has been in our family for many years, and I really need to save their property for that reason alone. I would like to buy the land but don't know how to go about...

View more questions Search