Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rc42 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2006, 08:43 AM
    Nonresident aliens and state sales taxes
    Hello,

I moved to the US from Canada on a TN (now H1B) status in August 2005 and so will be filing my US taxes as a nonresident alien for 2005. (I didn't meet substantial presence.) My question is: does anybody know if nonresident aliens can deduct state and local SALES taxes? I live in Florida, so there is no state income tax to deduct; I bought a car when I moved here and so paid quite a bit of sales tax.

I know residents are allowed to deduct sales taxes for 2004 and 2005, but I can't any evidence of nonresidents being able to do it in 2005. And then, in 2004's Pub. 519 "Tax Guide for Aliens", there's a sentence that claims I can deduct sales taxes under "what's new for 2004." However, that sentence has disappeared in 2005's version of Pub. 519.

If it turns out that nonresident aliens can't deduct sales taxes, am I better off filing as a dual-status alien so I can use Form 1040?

Thank you for your help,

Ron
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 17, 2006, 10:20 AM
    Ron:

Yes, you can deduct the sales taxes. You can use the table provided in the instruction manual for Form 1040 plus whatever you paid for the car.

BTW, if you converted to the H-1B visa prior to November 1st, you should file a dual-status return. Thought you should know!
    rc42 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2006, 12:33 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply! This is great to know. The IRS literature is a bit complex.

As for your second comment, I converted to the H1B in January, so I'll file as a resident alien for 2006, and a nonresident in 2005. I think this means that for 2006, I will have to file form 8891 to defer the taxes on gains made in my Canadian RRSP, which I hold but am not touching. Am I correct?

Thanks again.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 17, 2006, 10:44 PM
    Yes, I believe that is correct, but I have no experience with Form 8891. Suggest you address that issue on the forum at the following website which specializes in taxes for aliens:

www.thetaxguy.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 state Taxes [ 12 Answers ]

I have another question for taxes for 2005. I was in WIsconsin for 140 days till May 20th. Rest I was in WAshington (no State Taxes) On Nov 7th Moved my status from OPT(F1) to H1. Will I get back the state tax I paid on my income in WI or is it gone. Also my understanding is that...

State taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I have seen this topic on the board, but I just need further clarification: I lived in NJ but worked in NYC in 2005. ON my W-2 in box 15 I have both NJ and NY then in box 16 I have 2 different state wages. In box 17- I only have state income tax for NY and not for NJ. My question is- when I...

CPT+fed and state taxes [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on F1-CPT in the state of CO while studying for 8 months in the year 2005. My employer did not withhold any taxes. So, I assume that I have to pay Federal and state taxes this year. My income for 2005 has been $11,600. I assume I have to pay around $550 in Federal and $165 in state...

Do nonresident aliens file state taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

So if someone is a nonresident for federal purposes, than he is a nonresident for all states or is resident in state where the university is located? Confusion, confusion...

If I file 1040NR, do I file state as nonresident? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I worked in several states but I am foreigner. Does that mean that I file state taxes as non-resident as well?

View more questions Search