Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kbecicka Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2010, 08:37 PM
    Crack in cast iron drain pipes but no leaking
    If I have a cracked cast iron drain pipe running from my upstairs bathroom to the basement, is it possible due to build up in the pipe that the pipe may not leak?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 21, 2010, 09:03 PM

No, only luck has kept it from leaking. Your luck will run out any day now.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2010, 11:13 PM

Besides gas can leak and that's not nice either. Fix it.

I heard a story from a neighbor which was interesting. Someone drilled a small hole in the bottom of the sewer pipe near the basement floor before he bough the house.

After he bought the house, he noticed the hole and "fixed it". When he fixed it he ended up with a flooded basement. Turns out that he hole was a ersatz drain.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 22, 2010, 06:50 AM

You are down to two options here.
    Repair or replace.
    The easiest would be to repair'
    To repair that crack click on; PlumbingSupply.com - Leak Repair Kit
    However if you decide to replace with PVC here['s how to do it,
    Difficulty: Moderate
    Instructions
    Things You'll Need:
    Reciprocating saw
    PVC pipe
    No Hub bands
    PVC Glue
    1/4" nut driver
    Pencil
    Ruler
    Cast iron sewer pipe gets rotten and rusty on the bottom side with time. To replace it, begin by finding the point in the line where it is still solid.
    Cut the pipe in two with a reciprocating saw. You will have to use a very good metal cutting blade, or a diamond tip cutting blade to do this. The pipe will have black gunk and water inside! be careful not to let this run down and into the saw! make sure you are using an outlet with a Ground fault Interrupter (GFI) just in case.
    Now find the other end of the pipe where it is still in good shape and cut it in two as well. Drag all the rotten pipe out from under the house so you have a clean work area.
    Now replace the cut out section with schedule 40 PVC drain line the same size as the old pipe. Join the sections together with couplings or whatever fittings were there before. Use PVC cleaner on all of your joints. Let it dry and then apply glue on both fittings and stick together.
    Make sure they are right before they dry because they do not come back apart. As you put the pieces together, do it with a twisting motion because this helps seal the glue even better.
    The joints where the new PVC meets the cast iron are connected with a no hub band. It is a rubber connecter with a stainless steel band around the outside. It has two stainless clamps built in. Use these and the 1/4" nut driver to tighten the band in place.
    You are done! The PVC you put in lasts a lifetime. You will never have to worry with it again.

Read more: How to Repair Cast Iron Pipes | eHow.com How to Repair Cast Iron Pipes | eHow.com
    If you have more questions we're as close as a click.
    Good luck, Tom
    gpfs01 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2010, 09:10 AM

You can buy your material from Wholesale Plumbing Supplies | Discount Plumbing Supplies | Fire Sprinkler Supplies | Fire Protection - Glendale Plumbing and Fire Supply they have really good prices on what you are looking for also I suggest you change it even if you repair it might not last as long as a new one so eventually your going to have to replace it with a new one.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is there such thing as a Cast Iron sleeve to put into Cast Iron plumbing pipes? [ 8 Answers ]

Is there a Cast Iron sleeve to put inside Cast Iron plumbing pipes to keep them from rusting?

Can Plastic drain pipes plugged into cast iron fittings? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All, Can plastic drain pipes be plugged into iron drain pipe fittings? (I am actually not sure it is cast iron. It is Iron with rubber seals between iron pieces) I do not think I have enough space to use No-Hub connectors. I could probably easily unplug an existing 3" and an existing 2" iron...

Cast Iron with a crack [ 2 Answers ]

Hi to all out there. I have recently put an offer on a house that has various plumbing problems. One of the latest problems is with the cast iron drain stack. Today we noticed that it has a leak in the connection that comes out of the floor. There seems to be a long crack coming down from the...

Crack in Cast Iron Main soil stack [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I just moved into a Bi-level house approx. 40-50 years old. It has a Cast Iron Main soil stack (main vertical sewer line). On the lower level I noticed that it has a crack that is approx 5"-6" long about 1/4" thick. Now I bought a new pluming book because of some other repairs I had...

Cast iron or PVC waste/drain pipes? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I'm in the middle of a major remodel to my 1947 home, including adding a second story. We're trying to do everything top-notch, which leads me to the experts here. Here's my question: For the waste/drain pipes, I know we want to use cast iron in the drops between the floors (for...

View more questions Search