Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GregZ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Can Plastic drain pipes plugged into cast iron fittings?
    Hi All,

Can plastic drain pipes be plugged into iron drain pipe fittings? (I am actually not sure it is cast iron. It is Iron with rubber seals between iron pieces) I do not think I have enough space to use No-Hub connectors. I could probably easily unplug an existing 3" and an existing 2" iron pipe from an iron Y. Also, if plastic can indeed be plugged into the iron Y fitting, can one still buy the rubber seals that connect the iron pipes (to be on the safe side)? I worked with plastics drains on many occasions but am somewhat new to iron drain pipes.

Thanks,

Greg
    GregZ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2008, 03:14 PM
    OK, I am a little smarter now. The pipes are indeed cast iron with neoprene donut seals. I could find some seals in Home Depot, I hope they will fit. However my question still remains: Can I plug a plastic pipe into these donut seals inside the cast iron pipes?
    Thanks,

Greg
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2008, 04:59 AM
    Yes, bevel the pvc so it slides easier and use soap for lubrication.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fittings for odd sized cast iron pipe? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there - first time poster here. So - I'm in the process of renovating a kitchen, and when I had all the old cabinetry out, I found out why the previous sink/disposal did not drain properly - the wall outlet for the drain was ~24" off the ground, rather than the usual 10-12". I guess this would...

Plastic to cast iron [ 8 Answers ]

I am installing a sewage pump in my basement that requires a 2" plastic pipe fitted to a 4" cast iron hub. The 4"hub has a female threaded cleanout fitting in it and it is fitted with lead and oakum. The cleanout plug is made of copper and measures 3-7/8" across OD, which nothing else seems to fit....

Oakum and Plastic or Lead with Cast Iron [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone used plastic filler with Oakum in cast iron joints? I would like to know your opinion on using plastic, and if you like it, what name or brand have you used? Thank you. J

Cast Iron Pipes [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to clear cast iron drain pipes as a step towards making future preventive maintenance cost effective and less labor intense? Is there a preferred cutter to use on a rooter machine that could accomplish this? Is there chemicals that are safe to use that can assist the process. I...

Cast iron or PVC waste/drain pipes? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I'm in the middle of a major remodel to my 1947 home, including adding a second story. We're trying to do everything top-notch, which leads me to the experts here. Here's my question: For the waste/drain pipes, I know we want to use cast iron in the drops between the floors (for...

View more questions Search