Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RHardy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2014, 11:28 AM
    Bankruptcy and Debt
    Is it legal to have a garnishment issued against your job after the 4 year statue
    Of limititaions has ran out against collection?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 11, 2014, 11:36 AM
    A garnishment cannot be issued unless there is a judgement in place. A garnishment requires a writ of execution issued by a court. To get a writ an judgment has to be in place. The judgment would have to have been filed before the SOL ran out.

If this has happened to you, you need to check with your job to get a copy of the writ of execution. This will include the docket # of the original suit. You can then go to the court and find out what happened with the original suit.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2014, 11:41 AM
    It might be helpful to post where you are... because there is no 4 year limit on writs of garnishment most places I am aware of... and they can usually be renewed indefinitely with the court as long as its done before they expire.

The statute only applies for the original debt holder to file in court. It can be collected LONG after that time if they get a rulling in time. There is no statute applying to writs.....a writ if vaild for a certain length of time.....and it can be renewed over, and over if proper procedures are followed, could in theory be collected 60 or 70 years later.

I know a guy that won a case (uninsured drunk driving automobile accident)..got a writ...and 30 years later (last time I talked to him) was still after any assets they had acquired that were attachable (there was of course several renewals of the writ in that time) and he will go after their estate when they die if there is anything to be had.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DEBT! What should I do debt consolidation,debt settlement bankruptcy (kind of long) [ 8 Answers ]

Hello to everyone :) I've been reding on here and seen the great questions asked and answered, and thought I'd ask a few questions. Ok so here is my situation, I have total about 35k worth the credit card debt (3 cards, amex 20k, visa 5k and another visa 10K), a 12k car loan and a house in WA....

Bankruptcy and Debt [ 1 Answers ]

IF I FILE BANKRUPTCY WILL I HAVE TO LOOSE MY HOME, or will I be able to keep it.

Bankruptcy and debt [ 4 Answers ]

How do I stop a collection agency from garnishing my check ?

Debt after Bankruptcy [ 1 Answers ]

We filed bankruptcy and included our 1st and 2nd mortgage as a reaffirmation. Well my husband got laid off and we just didn't have the money to pay for the 2nd mortgage payment. The mortgage company notified us saying that the property did not have the value for foreclosure, but that our account...

View more questions Search