Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ggkrs Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Moving Expense and Traveller Expense
    Brief History:
    I came to US on F1 in 2001 and graduated in 2003. I have been employed from October, 2003 on my OPT and my H1 started in May, 2004. I changed my employer in 2004 and in 2005 I had to leave the country to be with my family in my home country. I was out of the country from April 2005 - Jan 2006 and I returned to work with my employer. The following are my questions:

Questions:
    1. I had some moving expenses in 2005 when I left for my home country. I did not deduct these expenses from my tax filed for 2005 since my friend did it for me while I was still in India. Can I do that in 2006?

2. When I came back in Jan 2006, I had some moving charges and I paid for my flight. Can I deduct these from my 2006 tax. If so does it come under itemized deductions or standardized? What is the maximum that I can deduct on this?

3. I am a VA resident, but I have been working as a traveller for a client in OH throughout 2006. Does that make me eligible for any deductions on my state tax?

Thanks a lot and appreciate any help.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 23, 2007, 12:09 AM
    1) No; amend your 2005 return to claim those moving expenses.

2) Yes, as an adjustment to income.

3) File the Ohio return, then claim the credit on VA return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commission Expense [ 1 Answers ]

We have a complex commission plan. Our commissions for installation are paid 50% up front and 50% when the job is complete. We have 3 year maintenance contracts for which commissions are paid up front. Should we be expensing all of the commissions up front for installations and spreading the...

Moving Expense inquiries [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, We've already started working on our Tax Returns but came across the following questions. We need some help. 1. My husband arrived in the US as an H1B holder last Nov. 2005. However, he only got to work on a project on February 2006. His employer advised him not to file an income tax...

Moving expense deduction for new permanent resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Myself and family arrived in USA in May 2006. We are permanent resident aliens with green card holders. We travelled from a Middle east country after got the immigration on a job offer for me as registered nurse. I paid $5000 for air tickets for me and family. Our filing status is MFJ. Ticket...

Moving Expense Deduction Help ! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I got married in May 2005 and got my Wife with me to Virginia. Then I changed my job and moved to Florida (1000 miles) relocation. 1) So can I deduct my Wife's air-ticket expense from India to USA ? I heard from my friend that a CPA told him we could deduct moving expenses "IF YOU OR...

View more questions Search