Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jamez Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2006, 02:55 PM
    Breaking Up...
    What's the best way to get over a break-up? And if you're really in love with that person, do you think it's worth it to give in patience and wait, and hope for that person to come back to you one day?
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Aug 27, 2006, 03:22 PM
    I waited and waited and he never came back, so after that I was far more careful with my heart. The best way is to have no contact, which of course I didn't do with him (we owned a company together and it took some time to raise enough capital to affect a buy-out). Later I learned how messed up I was and fixed that so I was better able to meet the kind of person I really wanted to be with. I learned to go slow and to date and to break up with no contact and lots of other valuable stuff. I joined the "if its worth breaking up over, its worth staying broken up over" club so I never took anyone back after it ended.

I met someone finally (just when I gave up looking too LOL)... and after a slow courtship and falling in love a second time, we've been happily marriage for a while now. And if we broke up, I would not go for seconds on it either. I am not that needy anymore and it feels like a manipulation to me. We work things out when it gets rough like mature people do instead of jerking each other around by breaking up and getting back together over and over like teenagers do.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 28, 2006, 05:00 AM
    We work things out when it gets rough like mature people do instead of jerking each other around by breaking up and getting back together over and over like teenagers do.
    Love this line Val

I don't believe in waiting for somebody finally deciding to want me. Get on with your life and work on the things you enjoy. Needy people wait. Healthy people live their life and don't look back.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2006, 05:26 PM
    As for hoping that the person will come back to you one day, that's not a good move. It may happen but don't bank your hopes on it. Actually you have to cut off any and all contact with them. No calls, no e-mails, no texting, nothing. If they contact you, don't respond, at least not immediately. Then get on with your own life and do the things that interest you. Take a class, take up a new hobby, take a vacation or whatever else you want to do. Work on yourself right now as you are your own best friend. You don't need a romantic partner to complete you.
    tirednhurt86 Posts: 56, Reputation: 16

Aug 29, 2006, 05:48 PM
    Heyy

My ex boyfriend dumped me after 2 years together- it has been four months since the breakup. The best advice I can give is from what others have told me and from what I myself have experienced- no contact with the ex at all! No emails, no checking away messages or blogs <---( this one is still hard on me), no calling, no stopping bye, no driving bye... nuthing at all! It is the only way to stay sane and to recover. Cry all you need to, vent to friends, and get one best friend or close friend to be there at all times (even those eary am times) in case you need to cry at any time. It will be a very long, hard road. It takes some people a shorter amount of time and some a longer but it depends on each person and each relationship. Don't rush the process. Don't jump into another relationship too soon, you can date if you want to but be careful not to get involved so early. My best advice is to stay single and to take care of yourself. Do what YOu want, this is time for you to focus on yourself and your life. Remember if you need to cry, yell, scream, get it out- either verbally or write in a journal or blog. Just know that I have been through it like lots of others, and it's a very difficult time. It will take time to heal your heart. And I personally do not think you should wait for the ex to come back. Usually they move on, or decide they can't get back into the relationship with you and this will only break your heart again and disappoint you- when a relationship ends or goes on a break it is broken and usually can never be fixed. Just let go slowly and tell yourself they might never come back and try to go on as if they are not there. Because I kept holding onto the fact that my ex would come back and he never did... hang in there and goodluck!
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2006, 05:50 PM
    Time. It takes time.

I dated one gal for 6 months... it took 5 months to get over her... it's different in evey situation.

Another for over a year and I dated someone within in two weeks - and stayed with her for a long time... never a rebounf o nthat one.

It's always different.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2006, 03:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat21
    Time. It takes time.

I dated one gal for 6 months....it took 5 months to get over her.....it's different in evey situation.

Another for over a year and I dated someone within in two weeks - and stayed with her for a long time.....never a rebounf o nthat one.

It's alwasy different.
    I'm not sure if I should start a new post for this but that is a good point Wildcat. Do you know, I mean is there an answer why some short relationships take time to heal and longer ones seem to or can seem to heal quickly?
    Aussie Posts: 48, Reputation: 3

Sep 21, 2006, 04:39 AM
    It depends on the person I think and what place your in at the time.
    Breagha Posts: 6, Reputation: 4

Sep 22, 2006, 01:45 PM
    What if you both still really like each other and its solely because of distance? If one person is trying to cut off the feelings because a long distance relationship isn't working, should the other person wait to see if they change their mind? A couple should break up because they miss each other too much? WHAT?
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2006, 02:24 PM
    That's different - But I would never wish a long dstance reationsh ip on anyone - too many ups and owns. If something happens YOU NEED TO BE THERE FOR THEM. It's just to difficult and makes no sense. To easy to see other people.

Out of site, out of mind.
    ilovcali Posts: 206, Reputation: 85

Sep 22, 2006, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuff
    I'm not sure if I should start a new post for this but that is a good point Wildcat. Do you know, I mean is there an answer why some short relationships take time to heal and longer ones seem to or can seem to heal quickly?

Yeah, like Aussie said. It's the connection that is difficult to replace or get over . The person is long gone before the effects are fully gone. The stronger you bond with someone, the longer it takes to get over them.

My ex in college I dated longer than my most recent ex. But it is taking longer to get over the recent ex, then it did my college ex.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Breaking lease [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Maine and have signed a 1 year lease. My husband and I were able to purchase a home, so obviously we will be moving out. I heard somewhere that once you have fulfilled a 1 year commitment, it doesn't matter if your landlord has you re-sign a lease, you are month to month. I haven't been...

Breaking a Lease [ 3 Answers ]

Two weeks ago I went and put a $75 deposit down on an apartment and signed a lease. The apartment wasn't supposed to be ready until Sept 26th. I got a call on Aug 30th stating the apartment was ready, but the very next day, situations arose that are going to keep me from renting the apartment. I...

After breaking up [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, everybody.. Thank you for reading this. I am 24 years old and I broke up with my ex-boyfriend a month ago. He began to say he was really busy and could not think of any... Afterthat, he told he needed "space" to concentrate on his work. I made dicision to break up with him to respect...

Breaking up [ 6 Answers ]

I have just broken up with my girlfriend. We had only been dating for two months but I already had started to develop some feelings for her. She said there was no spark in the relationship. OK, I appreciate her honesty and I will give her the space she wants. However, my last relationship broke...

View more questions Search