Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mother of 4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2009, 05:19 AM
    IUD and bacterial infections
    Hi All,
    Does IUD's increase the risk of bacterial infections? How would I hollisticly treat them? I have had reoccuring infections for a long time now and they are very expensive to medically treat.
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Feb 19, 2009, 07:38 AM

Hi... some say it does slightly but usually when it's first inserted.

Unfortunately there have been so many problems with women who choose this method of birth control... heavy periods, cramps, infections, that most choose to stop using it.

It is suggested that when first inserted, that it must no be touched by the hand or any other part of the body whilst it is being put in, as this will most definitely cause an infection, it is suggested that it should be checked about 6 weeks later and then if all is OK at least once a year... as long as everything is OK.

As IUD'S are thought in some cases to increase infection then it's also suggested that further protection should be used as it does not protect you against sexually transmitted deseases... in other words a condom.

If there is an infection, then I would imagine that a coarse of anti-biotics would be perscribed, once gone I think perhaps using a condom as well, would help, also see if there is a vagina wash, that used to be available from your pharmacy.

Try not to use any uneccessary perfumes in that area, also a shower, as apposed to a soak in a bath, would be much better.

I hope this helps a little, but if in doubt ,please go back to your GP and ask for further advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bacterial vaginosis [ 5 Answers ]

Last Thursday I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis, my doctor gave me metronidazole to take twice a day for a week and my urine hasn't lightened up and I still have a odor.. my doctor sent out tests for chlamydia and ghonnerhea I will receive those shortly. I'm confused how I could have gotten...

Bacterial growth [ 3 Answers ]

Of all the known bacteria, what percentage can successfully grown in the lab?

Bacterial Vaginosis [ 29 Answers ]

I have a lot of discharge and fishy smell. About 5 yrs ago I noticed it for the 1st time. I was treated then for BV. It never really went away and I went to 4 other doctors within about 3years and they all told me I was fine and that everything was normal. I totally disagree. This cannot be...

Bacterial Vaginosis and HIV [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a 27 year old women living in the tropics... and a few weeks ago I was diagnoised with BV and Flagyl 400, Batrafen Vaginal Cream along with Fluconozole were prescribed by my Dr. I was doing my own research and read a blog where someone said that BV was a symptom of HIV... NOW I'M WORRIED LIKE...

Bacterial Infection [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what PSEUDOMO is,and how is it treated

View more questions Search