Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wschaeff Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Bacterial growth
    Of all the known bacteria, what percentage can successfully grown in the lab?
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 05:32 AM
    I'd have thought all of them, given the right conditions. Do you mean which ones are actually used?

-----

Edit - turns out I was completely wrong!
    http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn7904.html
    Apparently many cannot be cultured

Ok to work out the percentage you need to know how many species are known.

Here is what I have found - does any one else have different numbers?
    There are approximately 4000 known and recorded bacteria.
    However 400 000 is a conservative estamite of how many there actually is
    Text Book of Biodiversity - Google Book Search

How many are cultured in labs
    I can't find it!

Perhaps you should ask here as well
    It an ask a scientist web page
    Search Engine & Index Directory
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 09:52 AM
    I don't think very many species of bacteria are cultured in labs, basically E. coli and the pathogens that make us sick or that have some economic importance (like bacteria that attack agricultural products). I'd guess something like 100 to 300. The online textbook of bacteriology says there are 3000 named species and estimates that that's about 1% of the true total (so 300,000). So I agree with templelane's numbers. I'd estimate on the order of a tenth of a percent of bacteria have been cultured by someone somewhere. "Can be cultured" is different. A lot of bacteria cannot be cultured, but for most species, nobody has ever tried...

Overview of Bacteriology
    sovaira Posts: 271, Reputation: 10

Sep 29, 2007, 07:44 AM
    It totally depends on the condition of the growth and the straing you are using.
    Usaully bacteria are quite resistant creatures can acquire and grow almost in conditions if not very critical.but optimum temperature and humidity is the controlling factor.
    Temperature for most is 37C and sterilized conditions are important... only streak or inoculate the pure strain .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bacterial Vaginosis [ 29 Answers ]

I have a lot of discharge and fishy smell. About 5 yrs ago I noticed it for the 1st time. I was treated then for BV. It never really went away and I went to 4 other doctors within about 3years and they all told me I was fine and that everything was normal. I totally disagree. This cannot be...

UTI/Bacterial Infection [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I'm 8 weeks pregnant and when I pass my urine I feel very little burning and even see some white blood cells in my urine and can even smell some foulness. I talked to my Doctor about it but she said even if I've any Bacterial infection/UTI I can't be treated until I finish my First Trimester.I...

Bacterial Vaginosis and HIV [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a 27 year old women living in the tropics... and a few weeks ago I was diagnoised with BV and Flagyl 400, Batrafen Vaginal Cream along with Fluconozole were prescribed by my Dr. I was doing my own research and read a blog where someone said that BV was a symptom of HIV... NOW I'M WORRIED LIKE...

Bacterial Infection [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what PSEUDOMO is,and how is it treated

Bacterial infection [ 3 Answers ]

I had a bacterial vaginal infection diagnosed 2 weeks ago. Saw the dr. got medicine. It cleare d up, now it's back. I have another appt. next week, but why does this keep happening. I wash everyday, keep myself clean etc. :confused: :confused:

View more questions Search