Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SweetBeth Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Feb 15, 2010, 05:10 PM
    Is online chat rooms cheating?
    Is online chatting or rather in my case a chat room that's for singles in "your area" mobile chat room considered cheating. This was on my long time boyfriends phone, I couldn't see any of the chatting that went on, but just don't know what to think of it and it really upset me. Any advise on this?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2010, 05:17 PM

I wouldn't consider it cheating. But it'd be a big red flag if he's still visiting it when you two are still together.
    EmoPrincess Posts: 1,068, Reputation: 92
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2010, 05:26 PM

Do YOU consider it cheating?

Each relationship has different boundaries
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 15, 2010, 05:30 PM

It's really up to what his intent is and the boundaries that you set as a couple as to whether it is 'cheating' or not.

My best advice is to talk to him. Tell him about your concerns and listen to what he says.

Do you trust him? Have you had any other reasons to question his commitment to your relationship?

Let your instincts be your guide. Good luck.
    dynocompe Posts: 331, Reputation: 56

Feb 15, 2010, 05:51 PM

I think it is cheating.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2010, 10:42 PM

While he may not be cheating physically , the fact that he has it on his phone would suggest to me he must be using it. That's cheating emotionally in my book.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2010, 12:45 AM

I would see this as a red flag and call it emotional cheating.
    Time for a serious conversation about your relationship.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2010, 06:27 AM

Sit down and confront him about it, it's a huge red flag and can be considered emotionally cheating
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2010, 06:31 AM

Question: Did you find this out by snooping on his phone? If that's the case, did you really trust him to begin with?

I think this sort of thing is relative to what guidelines the two people have in the relationship. Expectations and such. Personally I would be pretty annoyed if I caught my girlfriend utilizing a "singles" chat room... it is something you and him need to discuss and at least set boundaries on acceptable behavior.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 16, 2010, 07:22 AM

To me, it would be cheating.

It is dangerous ground for an otherwise committed man, to be chatting in a singles website. Also dangerous to hide that fact.

But, it is what it is.

These websites are designed to have people (singles) meeting other singles. From there, because it is local, the next obvious step would be to meet, exchange email, phone calls, texts etc.

Yes, of course it is cheating. He may not be sleeping with anybody, but the signs are all there that he is interested in checking out singles in the area. That's where he is, and that's what he's doing!

Confront him? Yes, absolutely. But beware. It isn't enough that he promises to stop. Get to the real meat and potatoes here, and find out what made him decide to do what he did in the first place.

Likely there is some waning in the relationship if he is deliberately keeping his single profile up and running at the same time that he is apparently loyal to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yahoo chat rooms are supposed to be private.is it true or is someone else reading my pr [ 3 Answers ]

Is Yahoo chat safe to chat in private.or is someone reading everything u write.

Chat Rooms and Honesty [ 15 Answers ]

Good Morning, After searching Google for any info on chat rooms and statistics on what they done to others relationships, I noticed a link to this site and just registered in order to ask my question. Ok, I met a woman who I instantly connected with on all levels. We share many, many...

I'm new to chat rooms is this worth the time? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm new to chatrooms and I found one that I kind of like and every time I go there people ask for msn, Yahoo, or cam and I say I don't have any of these. I was think getting Yahoo or msn but I hear about good and bad things about them. The site that go to like I mention ask for msn, Yahoo, or cam...

View more questions Search