Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjb4060 Posts: 87, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 12:12 AM
    Overwhelming fear of things, what could it be?
    I have an overwhelming fear of a lot of things. I am very paranoid out in public for example I am always scared I'm going to get beat up or carjacked or something ridiculous like that. My husband thinks its crazy, but I am really scared of those kind of things. I lay awake in bed for about an hour or so every night while my family sleeps and listen really carefully, because I'm afraid someone is going to break in and kill us or something. I know this all sounds ridiculous and when I think about it, I know it is because the chances are slim, but that still does not relieve the fears. What in the world could this be, I am sick of being a WIMP. Please help!!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 18, 2008, 01:14 AM
    How long have you had these fears, please?
    Fastfun1 Posts: 80, Reputation: 11

May 18, 2008, 05:11 AM
    It sounds like GAD (generalized anxiety disorder), with a slight touch of agorphobia. Stay away from benzodiazapines, but try a nice SSRI, like Lexapro. A six month cycle should set you straight. You'll have increased anxiety at first, but after a month or so, your symptoms should receed. By the way, you'll probably have to see a psychologist prior to the psychiatrist. Any major changes in your life lately?
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2008, 11:06 AM
    Get psychiatric intervention right away before this condition gets worse. :)
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

May 18, 2008, 11:19 AM
    Its not about being a wimp, but you do need to get to the bottom of these fears. Face what could be causing them. Challenging your fears and also moving past them.

Counseling is needed in your case. Please seek the help you need.
    jjb4060 Posts: 87, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 12:41 PM
    Thank you all... especially Fastfun1... you mentioned GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and agorphobia. I lookes agorphobia up first, but it didn't really sound like it to me, so then I did a little research on GAD and the symptoms fit me down to a T. at least now I know and know how to go about it... thank you so much for all of your help.
    Fastfun1 Posts: 80, Reputation: 11

May 18, 2008, 06:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jjb4060
    Thank you all...especially Fastfun1...you mentioned GAD (generalized anxiety disorder) and agorphobia. i lookes agorphobia up first, but it didnt really sound like it to me, so then i did a little research on GAD and the symptoms fit me down to a T. at least now i know and know how to go about it...thank you so much for all of your help.
    Glad to know I could help. My educational background is in abnormal psychology, but I'm a banker by trade. Maybe I didn't throw all that money away on school after all. :)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 18, 2008, 11:35 PM
    I know that you have already received some excellent advice. But, I do want to ask you, do you also have a fear of speaking in front of a group of people or even being around a group of people?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overwhelming mortgage rate [ 1 Answers ]

I have several problems looming over my head: 1. Mortgage gone up from 6.5% to 9.5% and may go up again Feb 2008 to 13%. Currently I'm paying 2450 for a 2br2 1/2 bath condo in Murrieta, CA. I've tried reducing rates in various ways but failed in each aspect. 2. My property tax has...

My life's questions are becoming overwhelming [ 4 Answers ]

Hello I am a 29 yr old woman with three kids by three men. None of them help me with anything unless it is time to go to court for child support. I am just entirely frustrated with it all. I have one baby daddy that I get along with he will do what he can when he can he just broke right now but we...

I feel out of control overwhelming emotions [ 1 Answers ]

I am 16 I have issues with my mother that are apparent to everyone . I feel that my relationship with her the way we act and feel towards each other ruins all of my other relationships and that makes me resent her even more . A few years after her divorce she told me she wished I would find someone...

Overwhelming debt [ 1 Answers ]

About 3 years ago I signed for 3 different credit cards and a department store card with my daughter as an authorized user. At the time her husband was working and making a good income but their previous credit was bad. Everything was o.k. and the bills were paid on time and in excess of the...

View more questions Search