Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    honey2all Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2005, 04:36 PM
    Bathtub drain leaking
    Hi! I sure could use some help!! My Mom's bathtub is leaking around the outside of the drain. When water drains out after a shower or a bath it goes down the drain and comes up on the outside of the drain under the tub then it seeps out on the bathroom floor. We thought it was maybe the shower head and faucets so we replaced them and all the plumbing going onto the faucets and shower head. Then we checked the drain from an access panel and sure enough it's going down the inside of the drain then up the outside. Has anyone else ever had this problem? I really don't have a clue as to what to do!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 28, 2005, 06:39 AM
    Good morning Honey,
    "Has anyone else ever had this problem?" I get lots of the same complaint.
    I'll bet your moms tub is fiberglass or plastic. If those types of tubs weren't properly supported on installation and it gives a bit when you step into it then the seal under the lip of the drain has ruptured. To repair you must first remove the drain lip. Put a pair of pliers handle down in the cross bars and a screwdriver in the jaws for a handle and leverage and turn the drain lip out counterclockwise. Once out clean the lip and the drain hole of any of the seal that may remain. Now form a rope of plumbers putty or silicon jell under the lip and screw it back in using the pliers and screwdriver to crank it down. Clean off any seal that's squeezed out and run water in the tub and let it drain to test your work for leaks. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathtub drain [ 5 Answers ]

I need to know what the part is called that has a lever and opens and closes the drain in the tub. I just moved in to an apartment and discovered that my tub doesn't have this so I can't take a bath only a shower. I want to know the right part to request they put back in the tub so they don't bring...

Bathtub drain [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone care to share their preference for the lever type bathtub drain vs the lift and turn type. I have always had the lever type stopper but I don't think they have worked real well after they get a little age on them.

Bathtub Backup & Leaking ceiling! [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. Recently, we had a problem with our upstairs bathroom. I think one of our kids may have pushed a small plastic toy down the bathtub plughole. Now, when the toilet flushes, water fills to the brim and slowly goes down. Any attempts to plunge the toilet results in brown "toilet" water backing up...

Leaking Bathtub. [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a condo a few months ago, and my neighbor (who lives under us) says that sometimes there is a leaking through their bathroom ceiling. The strange thing is, it does not leak (or at least she doesn't notice it) when we take showers, only when we take a bath. I do have an access panel behind...

Leaking bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

Hello help desk, Over the past few weeks we have experienced dampness on the carpet leading toward the bathroom. I noticed this after children would take a bath. Originally, I thought it was caused from spalshing etc.. However lately I noticed that when we let the water out to drain, ...

View more questions Search