Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kiki_doki Posts: 200, Reputation: 11

Nov 6, 2007, 04:28 PM
    DAMP! With a magnolia twist
    :eek:
    Hi there
    I have black patches in both my bathroom and a bedroom, the surveyor came around (its a housing association property) and at first he tried to pass the black stuff (which I will now refer to as damp, because that's what it is) off as condensation, I then pointed out that I have a fan and my windows are always open! And he could see that there had been a leak in the bedroom. He then said that he would send someone around to clean, seal and paint the damp patches... the bedroom however is blue and he said that they would only paint 3 foot of the wall magnolia!! Some advise needed please, can they do that even though the tenant above me is also with the same housing association and it was her that had the leak that led to my damp dilema. Don't they have to paint the entire room? Otherwise I will have a 3 foot stripe of magnolia in my blue room?? HELP
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Nov 7, 2007, 05:05 AM
    Hello kiki:

I've been thinking about your problem. I think you CAN demand that they use matching paint.

How badly do you want to stay there?? Real badly?? Then don't make a big stink out of it. Not real badly? Then tell 'em to match the paint, or find a new tenant.

excon

Nov 7, 2007, 06:24 AM
    Well, they can't kick me out for making a fuss as it's a housing association property (basically social housing), was just wanting to know if they had to redecorate the whole room, or an alternative that would make it easier for me to then re-decorate afterwards, because the ceiling doesn't need doing at all and its white, so if they paint the damp bit magnolia I will then have to paint the ceiling also... I could just be complaining too much (",)

Many thanks for your answer excon, its appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Are you in the UK by any chance? It often helps, sometimes is even mandatory, that you give us a clue about your location (nothing specific, just a general locale) as rules and laws differ from place to place.

Do you have any renter's insurance? Can you sue the upstairs tenant who caused the leak?

Bottomnline, I don't think anyone would agree that fixing a problem like this with a different color is reasonable. They either need to paint the whole room or match the existing paint.

Nov 7, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Hi there ScottGem,
    Yes locale is important, should've said am in the U.K, I just thought it came up automatically. No have no insurance, but I'm sure in the terms and conditions that any problems that occur that are not by my doing should be fixed by the housing association, the only problem is it doesn't specify what they call fixing. It's a bit of a grey area hence why I don't know what my rights are.
    Will get on the phone to them to ask them if they can (as you suggested) match the paint or paint the whole room.
    Thanks for your answer!! Its appreciated (",)
    Kiki
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 7, 2007, 07:37 AM
    A reasonable person would not consider painting the repair a different color as fixing.

Nov 7, 2007, 03:01 PM
    I think you're right!! Hopefully they will concur (",)
    Merci

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Magnolia tree for fire wood [ 2 Answers ]

Is the wood from magnolia tree good for fire wood, it there any funny smell or too much smoke... thanks

How do you twist a belly piercing? [ 14 Answers ]

My piercer said to twist the belly ring when I'm cleaning it and so that it won't get stuck but do I twist it around in a circle or up and down?

She wants to be alone, with an international twist. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I have to say I'm quite impressed with the responses to questions, similar to that I was looking for however mine is a little more unique and I hope that you kind folks can share some advice with me on my current situation. Before I go head first into this mess I'm in, I live in...

Red Squirrel making hole in Magnolia Tree [ 1 Answers ]

We have a large magnolia tree in our back yard and a little red squirrel is enlarging a crack in the tree. We are afraid that the tree will die. He has made it almost big enough to get in to. Should we patch the hole? What is a good thing to patch it with? The tree is very near our bird feeders...

View more questions Search