Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    x-lil-me-x Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2007, 11:38 AM
    Talking to mum about career choice
    I have spoken to my mum about doing siging as maybe a career i just love to sing. The only problem is she doesnt seem to want to support me:( . I have told her it is something that I would love to do:) . It would be my dream to just be able to sing and actually get something out of it. It is nice when my teacher complements me in my music lessons but I just want to be appreciated. No-one seems to appreciate me and i want to prove to them that i can achieve a goal that I want to do in the future!:) I'm not sure how to talk to my mum about it.:confused: Her fiance keeps putting me down making out I can't sing :mad: and my mum thinks it would be stupid if i became a siginger. So basically all I am asking you is if you could help me find a way of talking to my mum and showing her how much i want to do this. I am in a summer concert but I'm not sure thats is going to do much luck with the way she is about it:(
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 16, 2007, 12:03 AM
    I appreciate your ambition and what you are trying to do. Someday, your mum and her now fiancé aren't going to be the ones who will be so influential on the decisions that you make for your life. It will be up to you. But, that may be a number of years away.

I would listen to what they have to say. After all, they have been around awhile and seen and experieced quite a few things. I have been doing music professionally most of my life. But, I wouldn't encourage people to go into a career of performing music as the only thing that they could eventually make a living at. But, at the same time, you could become a "star" someday if you are good enough and in the right places at the right time. I'm sure that there are other things in which you are interested and that you are good at. At a young age, it is best to try many things out.

If it is in your heart to become a singer someday as either part or all you do for a living, then, by all means, follow what is in your heart. It is a good thing when a young person has something in their heart that they would like to do in the future that is healthy to themselves and also to others.

But please realize, that it is very, very hard to make it in a career as a singer. As a professional musician, I play various instruments and also sing. I do music as part of my career. Most professional musicians do music as part of their career.

Listen to the adults in your life. Listen to your music teacher also. Think about what they have to say. One thing that you could say to any of them is: "Thanks for telling me that. You have given me something to think about." It shows that you appreciate their imput into what you are wanting for your life and also gives you the freedom to keep up your hopes and dreams.

Keep practicing singing or whatever, and following any dreams that you have. It's not practice that makes perfect. But, perfect practice that makes perfect in whatever you are trying to accomplish.

Another thing that is important in becoming a singer is to be able to play at least a little on the piano. It is helpful to be able to play at least a little on the piano to know also about some music fundamentals and also to be able to plunk out the notes for yourself that you might be having to sing without having someone else do it for you.

You are already on the way to realizing whatever dreams you have because you have a couple of very important elements that so many others don't have. Those two things would be the desire and the drive to accomplish what you want to do.

If you keep trying to accomplish your goals, you will eventually achieve them. You will prove to others that you have what it takes to do that. Just don't be stuck on only one goal when you are so young and haven't tried out a lot of different things yet.

You might find some things helpful to you on the following links. I hope that you do.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/music/...er-101321.html

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/music/...tml#post455830

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How should I tell my mum? [ 11 Answers ]

OK this is the story... briefly I like a guy We have been getting to know each other for about 8 months (just talking in work, texting, myspace, msn... nothing more) I have decided after a hell of a lot of thought I want to take it further and I know he does too In the past I've said no, as I...

Career choice to be a college counselor or adviser? [ 1 Answers ]

I am in college right now I am interested in pursing a career as a college counselor or adviser I want to know what their duties are do they get benefits and vacation and do I need a masters degree and are credentials mandatory:) How much do they pay in this field?

My mum [ 1 Answers ]

My mum was murderd on 15th march 2005 by a man who a very loud man who my mum Took under her roof who she meet in a chat room in leeds centre he seemed to be very Smarmy but other people had different veiws 1 week after mothers day we had a phone Call from my brother he said my mum was dead...

Need help with career choice [ 6 Answers ]

I'm a high school senior this year, and I'm undecided as to what I want to major in in college. Let me start by saying that I like hard work. I would like a career that lets me work outside at least some of the time. I also make very good grades. I'm at the top of my class and I could probably...

View more questions Search