Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbeal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 06:10 PM
    Can a woodstove with an 8 inch pipe use 6 inch chimney pipe?
    I have an old Vigilant woodstove with an 8 inch pipe. I would like to use 6 inch chimney pipe, i.e.. Reduce the pipe diameter from the stove up to the roof. Is there any problem with this: draft, safety, etc?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2011, 10:35 AM
    Why reduce? Is this an existing gas flue? Since woodstoves can burn much hotter than a gas or oil heater and produce creosote, you should use an approved chimney system for wood stoves. These have special safeguards for roof and ceiling penetration. In may areas you will be required to have a spark arrestor too. Make sure your homowners insurance will cover a wood stove installation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting 2 inch drain to 1.5 pipe [ 0 Answers ]

I am replacing an old shower pan with a new one. The existing drain line is 1.5 galvanized Steel pipe going underground. I would like to avoid jackhammering up the floor. Is there a reducer or coupling that I can use to convert a 2 inch shower drain into the 1.5 pipe?

One inch gas pipe [ 3 Answers ]

What length of unthreaded one inch gas pipe should be exposed when stubbed out from a finished wall

1/2 inch pipe floor flange [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a floor flange for 1/2 inch pipe with a 5-6 inch diameter flange at the floor.

Moving 2 inch drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 inch drain pipe coming from an upstairs bathroom through a wall below, I want to expand a window in that area. My question is, can I move the drain pipe 4 feet to the left in the wall with 90 degree elbows and reconnect. The piping is pvc. Thanks, Ken

Un-used 3 inch waste pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house had an option of a second bathroom. The original owner did not go for this option & the plumber put cement in the hub of a 3 inch cast iron waste pipe. I want to now add the second bathroom and I need to use this pipe since it is in the right location. Running a new pipe is out of the...

View more questions Search