Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dje530 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 01:35 PM
    One inch gas pipe
    What length of unthreaded one inch gas pipe should be exposed when stubbed out from a finished wall
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Apr 25, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Dje530:

You need to tell us more than that... ;)

You said UNthreaded..? Why..? Not attaching anything?

Stubbed out from finish wall..? Why?

Let us know more. Thanks.. Mark
    dje530 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2008, 05:39 PM
    It's a question on a plumbing quiz and I don't know the answer. NO othe rinfo
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 26, 2008, 06:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by dje530
    It's a question on a plumbing quiz and I don't know the answer. NO othe rinfo
    Got to be a trick question! I'm going after this question the practical way. Since the pipe coming out of the wall's unthreaded black iron pipe and compression fittings can not be used a thread must be put on that bald piece of pipe.
    Soooo, a 1 inch ratchet dye,(See image, no room to swing a block dye pipe threader) will take up close to three inches I would say that piece of pipe should be at least three and a half inches out from the wall. And I would add a footnote saying that, as a plumber, I would NEVER terminate a black iron gas supply without a thread.
    While this probably isn't the answer they want this is the one that will get your gas appliance connected. Good luck on your test. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1/2 inch pipe floor flange [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for a floor flange for 1/2 inch pipe with a 5-6 inch diameter flange at the floor.

How to connect 1 1/2 inch copper pipe to PVC [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1 11/2 in diameter copper drain pipe and need to connect it to a PVC pipe. What's the best way to do this? Thanks

Floor drain clogged 2 inch pipe tried everything [ 4 Answers ]

My basement floor drain (from the hole in the floor to the main drain, about 15 ft.) is slow & sometimes clogged. When the clothes washer drains, water comes up on the floor, & slowly seeps down. I had a problem a few years ago with tree roots & big flood damage, had the old tile drain replaced...

Moving 2 inch drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 inch drain pipe coming from an upstairs bathroom through a wall below, I want to expand a window in that area. My question is, can I move the drain pipe 4 feet to the left in the wall with 90 degree elbows and reconnect. The piping is pvc. Thanks, Ken

Un-used 3 inch waste pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house had an option of a second bathroom. The original owner did not go for this option & the plumber put cement in the hub of a 3 inch cast iron waste pipe. I want to now add the second bathroom and I need to use this pipe since it is in the right location. Running a new pipe is out of the...

View more questions Search