Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrpaaskme Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2007, 05:02 PM
    Conversion from septic system to public sewer
    I am considering purchase of a home that currently has a septic system, but the township is installing a public sewer line and at some point, owners will have to connect. I have been told that the cost elements would be:
    (A). Project cost pro-ration; i.e.: project cost pro-rated among all properties that will benefit. At the present time the sewer authority cannot estimate the cost.
    (B). Connection fee. Authority says for recent similar sewer projects, cost for each property was $10,000 - $12,000.
    (C). Cost for lines from house to sewer main and costs to "de-commission" the septic system
    Two question:
    1.Has anyone any experience with this and does the above description of the cost structure sound correct?
    2. Any guidance as to how to estimate expenses for elements (A) and (C)?
    Many thanks in advance for attention and advice.
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jul 19, 2007, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jrpaaskme
    I am considering purchase of a home that currently has a septic system, but the township is installing a public sewer line and at some point, owners will have to connect. I have been told that the cost elements would be:
    (A). Project cost pro-ration; i.e.: project cost pro-rated among all properties that will benefit. at the present time the sewer authority cannot estimate the cost.
    (B). Connection fee. Authority says for recent similar sewer projects, cost for each property was $10,000 - $12,000.
    (C). Cost for lines from house to sewer main and costs to "de-commission" the septic system
    Two question:
    1.Has anyone any experience with this and does the above description of the cost structure sound correct?
    2. Any guidance as to how to estimate expenses for elements (A) and (C)?
    Many thanks in advance for attention and advice.
    The connect fee is up to the Govt entity that is installing the system and who knows what the elected officials will set the fee. You may be able to estimate your plumber's chargees for connecting to the sewer from you home to where he will tie into the City/County system usually near the closest street. It just makes sense to me that if the plumber has to run only 50 feet of pipe to connect instead of say 250 feet, then it's less expensive. Other factors I am sure will weigh into cost a plumber will charge. My experience is limited to a similar situation where I was required to pay a $500. Connect fee to the City, never did connect, then sold the home and disclosed that it was still on a septic tank system and not connected to the City system. That was in 1993.
    markleo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2012, 06:23 PM
    Public sewer linw
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 12, 2012, 08:25 PM
    Your expense will be determined by the connection fee and the plumber for time and material. Not knowing the rates in your area I can't be of much help on the cost, however I can tell you what to expect.
    First off, if your septic system was installed correctly you will have two lines exiting your house. One is the sewer main an d the other picks up the kitchen sink, the dishwasher and the washer. All these fixtures will exit your house to a grease trap before running to the septic tank.
    The grease trap will be bypasses and the kitchen line connected to the sewer line. The line from the house will be opened and connected back to the new sewer line and run out to the city raiser. Cleanouts will be added according to code and the city may require you to break the tops of the septic tank and grease trap and fill them with dirt. Good luck, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 13, 2012, 07:22 PM
    Based on my experience working in So.California...

Not all plumbing contractors are allowed to connect to City sewer. The ones who are allowed to do the actual connection - and excavate in the street - have to be approved by the City, carry performance and completion bonds as well as high insurance. Such a contractor will tie into the City sewer and will bring 6" lateral to your property line. Indeed, due these requirements, this 1 day job will cost you in the neighborhood of $10K.

Once the lateral is installed, you can call "regular" plumbing contractor who will excavate trench and bring new pipe to your house. Here, he has to figured out the best way of connecting main sewer pipe to the new City lateral. The cost will depend on how much new sewer he has to run.

Important: Old septic tank has to be filled and compacted as per City regulations with Deputy Inspector present during fill up. Separate plumbing permit has to be issued for this work.

I suggest that you stick with one contractor. Combine work with as many neighbors as possible and give this contract to the City approved Sewer contractor. He can do it all. Few years back, we were involved in bidding exactly the same project as yours. In the end, homeowners hired the City approved contractor and paid $7K each for entire project, including old septic tank fill up, saving about $5K each. Of course, you will have to pay all administrative expenses extra, including Sewer connection fee.

Hope that helps

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homemade septic system [ 1 Answers ]

I have a small shop behind my house that is on a location that is not accessible to connect to my house septic tank/system. I have a toilet and sink in the shop, I was considering using a 500 gal fiberglas tank as the septic tank and running feeder/distribution lines as with a normal concrete...

Switching from septic to sewer [ 4 Answers ]

Anyone have an idea of the costs involved for switching from septic to sewer? They've put up townhomes in the area, so there should be a sewer line close enough. I probably would wait until the tank or field needs serious work or replacing if it's really expensive, so part of the cost would be...

Septic System [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Our house, located in central New York State, has a 1,000 gallon septic tank. The tank was cleaned last fall. There are only two people living in the house and we have had few visitors. Today, I noticed that the area where the tank discharges to the leach field is soggy and the grass is...

Septic system [ 5 Answers ]

How do you tell if a septic system is dead. And if so How do you correct the problem?

Septic system [ 1 Answers ]

My system is 2 1/2 years old. The year of install we had major amounts of rain. This past year was a dry one all summer. My soil was graded moderate and I have 750 feet of leach. According to the sanitation dept. we have low usage for water. We also stopped washing on the same day. Ever since the...

View more questions Search