Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Drewbie82 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2006, 08:44 PM
    Switching from septic to sewer
    Anyone have an idea of the costs involved for switching from septic to sewer?

They've put up townhomes in the area, so there should be a sewer line close enough. I probably would wait until the tank or field needs serious work or replacing if it's really expensive, so part of the cost would be necessitated, but it'd be nice to know.

I assume I'd have to take out the tank; would the field stay or would that need to go as well?

Thanks
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Dec 17, 2006, 09:51 PM
    The first thing you need to do is to find out if your partition of the cost for putting the sewer main down your alley or street or where ever it runs. After that it would depend on how many feet it is from your house to the main line.
    It would probably be a good idea to drain the septic tank and fill it with dirt, the field lines would be no problem except when you might start digging and hit them.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 18, 2006, 07:57 AM
    Letmetellu was bang on with his advice. Most local codes mandate that you break out the top of the tank and have it filled with dirt. Due to the differences of pay scales and cost of materials we do not give estimates.
    Regards, Tom
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2006, 11:56 AM
    And the city may have a connection fee ? And you would have the cost of all the pipe from where your pipe comes out of the house to where the sewer is on your right of way.

The city may wave some fees if you do it when they are putting the lines in the first time.
    Drewbie82 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2006, 06:54 PM
    Thanks for the answers, gives me more ideas of what exactly to look into.

I know you're not keen on giving estimates, I won't hold you to anything and understand if you still don't want to, but if you could give a wild guess; assuming nominal city fees, and running 200ft, do you think I'd be looking much higher than 20k to do such a thing?

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Switching from LLC to S-Corp [ 1 Answers ]

We've been an LLC for just a couple of months and have decided to become an S-Corp. We're in NY. We've got start-up costs invested and don't want to take a loss on our personal return when we dissolve the LLC - we'd rather get this money back. Can we transfer the assets and liabilities to the new...

Fan motor switching [ 4 Answers ]

I have a range hood with 2 toggle switches. One is on/off and controls the light. The other is on/off/on and controls the 2 speed fan. I need to rewire the controls to a lower location (wheelchair accessible). I would like to be able to preserve all the functions, but not sure there are enough...

Switching fuses to breaker [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought my first home with my wife. The house has an old fusebox, which both my wife and I hate the thought of having to deal with. We want to switch over to a breaker box, but I have never done this before, so I have some info and some questions... First of all, is this something...

Blown bulbs when switching on [ 3 Answers ]

Hi: Having an odd problem w/ light bulbs blowing across 3 circuits with no dimming or brightening. When switch is flipped on, bulbs immediately fail, one actually made a small "pop" sound--6 in all in one week. Also had reverb on computer speakers. Basic Info: 80 year old house; all new...

Switching Filetypes [ 2 Answers ]

OK, I understand how switching the extensions works, but does anyone know how to switch say, Forgotten Face.mid to Forgotten Face.mp3 without making my PC think that it's not an audio file? Or even better, a way to get RealPlayer to recognise MIDI as an audio type. Thanks ~Me.

View more questions Search