Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    agony_aunt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2006, 02:19 AM
    Irregular Menses
    I have had irregular periods right from the onset for which I even took treatment and have taken hormonal medicines as well. My periods are all right when I'm on medicine and gets irregular again once I stop.
    I have been married for the last one and half year and took birth control pills which I stopped in the month of June. I had periods on 6 June 2006 after which I had periods on 17 July 2006 (which also happens to be my last periods). Since 25 June 2006 I have had no physical intercourse at all as my husband and I live in different cities.
    I met a gynaecologist on 31/08/2006 who gave me few medicine for 3 days (Azee-500, Orytral Forte)even then I have had no periods. My doctor is suggesting that I should get a pregnancy test done and a D&C done. Could it be possible that I be pregnant even when I had periods on 17/07/2006 and did not have physical intercourse since 25/06/2006. My last periods were on for 5 days and in the first two day i had heavy flow (this is how normally my period flow and time duration is).
    I have got my thyroid test done (as prescribed by my doctor) and the result is normal.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2006, 02:29 AM
    First of all why is your doctor suggesting a D and C? Do you want to become pregnant. If there is a chanch you are pregnant should you not get a test done to prove yes or no. If yes, D and C is out of the question. Unless you do not want to have the baby.

Joe
    agony_aunt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2006, 02:39 AM
    No, I don't want to get pregnant now. Probably next year. But is it possible that I could be pregnant even after having my periods that too my periods were a well 20 days after than the last time I had physical intercourse. I have heard about implantation bleeding... but can that happen after 20 days of conceiving that too like a normal 5 days menstruation?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 4, 2006, 05:13 AM
    If you do not want to get pregnant, why did you stop taking birth control? It is fairly normal for your periods to be messed up after stopping birth control.

From your first post, you had intercourse in June and had your period in July. From this information I don't believe you are pregnant. You should buy a hpt to be sure.

Also, check out this thread about implantation bleeding.
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2006, 07:02 AM
    I still want to know why the doctor is telling her to get a D & C done? Why do you not answer this? It does not make sense to me why the doctor would order this very unnecessary procedure.

Joe
    Expert

Sep 4, 2006, 07:31 AM
    A D&C it typically done to correct menstrual irregularities. She mentions that she has heavy flows, this could be the concern for the doctor and many times a D&C will effectivley correct this, albeit for a short time, it is not a permanent fix, but many doctors still do this routinely for menstrual problems.

It may not be an unnecessary procedure for her, we have not done a complete history and physical on this lady so we cannot say for certain that this procedure is unnecessary. That is why I did not answer this particular question as of yet. I wanted more info.
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2006, 07:46 AM
    The only reason why I mentioned it is because the questionnaire said the doctor told her to take a pregnancy test and get a d & c. I asked more questions about it but like you said we are not getting much info.

Joe
    Expert

Sep 4, 2006, 08:22 AM
    Joe, I am sure that the pregnancy test was to determine pregnancy, if it were negative a D&C would not be done.

It sounds as though the doctor in question does not think that there is a chance of pregnancy. When a routine D&C is done it is ethical to do a pregnancy test first. As a matter of fact, it is routine to do a pregnancy test on ANY woman having ANY surgery. I still undergo routine reconstruction, and after a tubal ligation, I still have to have a pregnancy test.

So hopefully this is the way in which the doctor was suggesting this.
    Expert

Sep 14, 2006, 07:17 PM
    Oops, I have to edit my first sentence.

"if it were negative a D&C would not be done."

If the pregnancy test was Positive a D&C would not be done.

To most doctors it would be unethical to do a D&C if the pregnancy test was positive.
    nehajain Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2009, 05:56 AM
    Hi
    I am 25years old. I use to have my menses reular just 4 or 5 days after the due date. But I had my menses on 13/05/09. And till now I did not had my menses m not pregnant I had a test. Can you tell me any medicine that can bring my menses again and I have been told by a doctor that I am anemic. Please suggest a medicine

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Irregular cycle [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to know I am the mother of 2 young children I got my period but its irregular could I be pregnant.could using drugs affect my period

Irregular Period... HELP! [ 10 Answers ]

Ok I've been having irregular periods for a year now and nothing seems to help. They put me on birth control and it made it worse. Last month was the first normal period I've had in like 12 months and it was the month after I went off the birth control but this month is completely different. I've...

Cramping with Menses [ 3 Answers ]

Can you tell me the cause for cramping with Menses?

Irregular period [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend experienced two heavier than normal periods for her two previous cycles, then last month she missed her period. A pregnancy test showed that she was not pregnant, but her gyno told her it could be too early to determine. Now currently instead of her normal period, she's having dried...

Very irregular cycle [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't had my period in about 4 or 5 months. It's been so long I've lost track. I'm 22 years old, and I'm definitely not pregnant. (I had to get an X-Ray recently and the nurse did a pregnancy blood test beforehand) In the past, I've skipped one to two months here and there, but usually when...

View more questions Search