Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Woolagemike Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2007, 12:07 PM
    Adding extra lights
    I have wired up 5 extra down light in a circuit. When I turn them on, they dim and if I remove one they all go out. What amI doing wrong?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Well they are wired in series, but as to how step by step to fix this you might want to consult a home wiring expert to connect the lights through junction points.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 7, 2007, 01:44 PM
    It does sound like you wired them in series, but as you suggested, you already knew you could hire somebody to do it. I will try to give you the help you want.

What you need to do is run a 3 wire cable from the breaker or switch to the first light. Connect the black wire to the brass screw, the white to the nickel plated one and the bare to the green screw or to the metal box. Then connect a second length of wire to the same screws, and run it to the next light, connecting the same wires to the same screws. Run a third length of wire to the third light connecting it the same way, etc.

For most lighting circuits, NM-B 14-2 is a good choice if it is connected to a 15 amp breaker. If it is a 20 amp breaker, you must use #12 wire for the entire circuit. With a 15 amp breaker, the total of lights and anything else on the circuit must add up to no more than 1440 watts. You can't run five 300 watt light fixtures on a 15 amp circuit.

I seldom answer questions like this anymore and only jumped in to show you there are people here that want to help.
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 7, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Woolagemike
    I have wired up 5 extra down light in a curcuit. When I turn them on, they dim and if I remove one they all go out. What amI doing wrong?
    Ok Woolagemike,
    Now for another explanation. If you intend on having all those five downlights on the same switch, then you need to fix the first one that is wired in series to the others, just make sure the circuit power originates from the switch outlet. Also make sure that the remaining downlights are all parallel wired as follows;
    It is an easy fix if you can access the j-box of that one offending down light. So far, I have really said nothing. Once you access that 'can' wire hookup, reconnect all the wires in parallel, BK-BK, WH-WH, and bare to bare connected to the fixture metal ground. (wire All 5 downlights the same.)
    Does this help? :) nm
    nmwirez Posts: 453, Reputation: 20

Mar 7, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    It does sound like you wired them in series, but as you suggested, you already knew you could hire somebody to do it. I will try to give you the help you want.

What you need to do is run a 3 wire cable from the breaker or switch to the first light.
    Hi Labman,
    One of these days I am going to give a reply on how to groom a dog and you are going to jump all over me.:D :D nm

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adding an extra light [ 1 Answers ]

I have a light fitting with 3x100 watt spotlights on a dimmer switch and all worked well. I have picked up power from this light fitting and added another wall light (2x40 watt bulbs). Now, both sets of lights work, but the dimmer does not. The lights are either on or off when I turn the dimmer...

3 lights ran between 2 3-ways, can one of these lights be controlled by a 3rd switch? [ 2 Answers ]

There are 3 lights connected, 2 in one room and the third at the bottom of the stairs. There is a 3-way at the top of the stairs and another in the room with the 2 lights. This guy would like to also be able to switch off just the 3rd light at the bottom of the stairs. I did not dig into this too...

Making extra backups [ 3 Answers ]

I found a website which explains how to make extra registry backups. A tool for retrieving these backups is included. It's a zipped batch file, with instructions which simply say to unzip it to the root directory. That's where I get confused. What part of the root directory does it go to? I...

About an extra ordinary person [ 2 Answers ]

My brother is in jail for public crime again. He will be there for sometime. He is 33 now and has been in severe drugs since he was 16 years old and creating havoc since then. He is very violent. At the age of 21 he went to Michigan, USA. He was jailed there many times, was an alcoholic, used drugs...

View more questions Search