Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maccamlc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2012, 05:51 AM
    Buzzing from Circuit Breaker when AC on
    Hi

I am from Australia and have a Panasonic Inverter Split System AC in my unit.

Recently I have noticed that when it is turned on, there is a buzzing coming from the circuit breaker, and the circuit breaker box becomes (worryingly for me) warm.

When the AC is turned off, it cools down and buzzing stops.

I have been having the bathroom and kitchen renovated as well, and they have been doing a lot of electrical work (adding new powerpoints, fixing a broken circuit after they drilled into the wiring, etc). But the AC has its own circuit! And I never heard this buzzing before the work started. So I pointed it out and he changed the circuit breaker while I was at work.

Anyway, that has made no difference. It is still buzzing and warm.

Is this something I should be worried about, and what can be done? This builder electrician did not seem too interested in helping!

Thanks
    Matt
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2012, 10:36 AM
    A breaker that starts buzzing usually indicates a failing breaker... you say a new one has been installed with same result. If you have the tools and only if you're also comfortable with testing, check the unit to verify you have the correct voltage at the split system input terminals, using an amprobe verify the current draw is very close to that given on the unit nameplate... Verify the circuit breaker is the correct size...
    I would hope one of these tests could give you a clue to the problem,
    Good luck, be safe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker [ 15 Answers ]

I want to know about the basic Theory of vacuum Circuit Breaker & sf6 circuit breaker

Buzzing noise coming from circuit breaker when treadmill is running. [ 4 Answers ]

I live in a home that was built in 1968 that has a basement that was finished, I believe when the house was built. We had to have an electrician install GFCI receptacles in the bathrooms and kitchens right after buying the house to bring it up to code. While my husband was using the treadmill in...

Buzzing circuit breaker fuse [ 1 Answers ]

The fuse blew and won't turn on. It makes a static buzzing sound with an unfamiliar smell. Is it safe to be in the house?

30 amp breaker buzzing [ 2 Answers ]

Is it normal for a 30 amp breaker to make a buzzing sound and to feel warm while running a drier off it? I have checked the wires and they are tight. Do I need a new breaker?

Breaker Panel Buzzing [ 1 Answers ]

When my heat pump comes on the circuit breaker panel buzzes. It is on a separate breaker. Please tell me what I need to do. Thank you

View more questions Search