Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoothpro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 06:32 PM
    Parents both blood type O+, kid blood type A+ is that possible?
    The Mother and Father both have Blood type o+ but their baby has a blood type A+ I would like to know if that is biologically possible? And if no if father should DNA baby?
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Jan 14, 2010, 06:44 PM

If the baby is A, its two genes are either AA or AO. Which means one parent had at least one A gene, which would result in A blood in that parent.

Blood type - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Father should double check his own blood type before doing anything else. Perhaps he's not O as he thought?

False accusations are hard to take back and long remembered.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 09:28 PM

Yes still possible, but then if there is a doubt, do a DNA test to get rid of any doubt
    Amar63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 01:28 AM

Can an oo positve woman make a AB negative child
    linya Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2011, 10:46 PM
    Yes, it is possible. I know this for fact because My 2nd child is A+ and my other 2 are O+. I KNOW who the father is as I was monogamous (I have nothing to gain here by lying as my ex-husband is dead and none of you know me anyway) and my son was the only newborn with a beard and mustache at the hospital--so no mix up. This leaves 3 possibilities. 1. A mutation. 2. My late husband was a chimera, 3. I am a chimera. I have an appointment to be tested for micro-chimerism coming up soon as I have health problems that indicate this may be the case. Chimerism / micro-chimerism is caused by incomplete separation of a fraternal twin. Still, I don't know how type A could have come into play as my Mom and Dad are both type O, unless my ex was the chimera.

My daughter discussed this at length with her professor who was a geneticist. Of course he told her that apparently mom had stepped out on dad, then she showed him a picture of dad and son. (Yeah. They are so alike it is eerie.) So he did a little checking for us. Type O arose historically as a mutation of type A SO... it is possible (and from as many times as I am seeing O + O = A I would say likely) for it to mutate back the other way.

I have seen 3 women asking the same question about 2 Os making an A just tonight. I am a biologist myself, and this has me wondering if there isn't something going on evolutionarily here. I would be curious to know how many of these O+O=A women... how many of their children DO NOT HAVE WISDOM TEETH. My type A+ son does not have them. His dentist told me he is seeing more and more people who are born without them--an evolutionary trait.
    Auntyhen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2013, 03:23 PM
    I am an ex blood donor, blood group O+, as is my ex husband and only ever partner who is O -. Our only child, (after two miscarriages) has as an adult been found to be A+. Unless there was a hospital swop, which I cannot bring myself to consider possible, like a few others, we seem to be the exception to the "rule" of this being physically impossible.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2013, 10:56 PM
    Unfortunately in the world of science, we can only go so far as to say something is impossible. There is always an 'impossibility' that will eventually come up with that ONE, and then that TWO, and eventually there are exceptions everywhere.

That said, it is highly unlikely that these blood types are correct, or it's the wrong man.
    lynnecleo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2013, 12:11 PM
    Hi, both my parents have O+ blood type and I have A+. I was born in 1960 and I remember the upset at home when I was 18 and went to donate blood and found out for the first time my blood group. My mother who was a nurse was very upset and went on for hours that it was not possible for me to have this blood type and that the blood bank must have made a mistake ! No, I do not have any wisdom teeth as they never developed. I went on to marry a man with O+ blood group and both my sons are O+ and both have their wisdom teeth !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Blood Type [ 5 Answers ]

I am blood type O-, my husband O+. When I gave birth to my son I was told he was type A+. Is that possible or they made a mistake?

Blood Type [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are both A Rh D Positive bloodtype and I want to know if this will be possible to conceive and whether any risks are involved during pregancy and will the child survive? Thanks

Same blood type [ 4 Answers ]

I want to get pregnant but my husband and I have the same blood type (A+) and people have told me that by us having the same blood type that something could come out wrong with the baby! Is that true?

Blood Type [ 2 Answers ]

Can a man who has blood type B be the father of a child who has blood type AB if the child's mother is blood type AB?;)

View more questions Search