Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    huntclub7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2007, 01:51 PM
    Urinating blood
    My 21-year old son just informed me that last weekend he urinated straight blood. It only happened once, but it has frightened me. What could it mean?
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 02:05 PM
    That he needs to go to a speccilest imed. A>S>A>P> . It could be cancer, or he could have a kidney stone which could have put a scratch somewhere or a broken blood vessel. TAKE HIM TO DOCTOR
    mybobbi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Urinating blood can be something as simple as a bacterial infection to something very serious such as kidney disease. If your son has blood in his urine, even once he should see a doctor right away. Most likely it will be a simple infection that can be treated with antibiotics... but you certainly don't want to assume that. Have him see a doctor.

Good luck.

Mark
    hdubon Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 09:15 AM
    Ih he's sexually active, it could also be gonorrhea. Whatever the case, blood in urine means something is definitely wrong. Take him to a doctor NOW!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Sep 11, 2007, 09:19 AM
    It amazes me that people turn to the internet and advice from strangers when it comes to their health. This could be a serious condition or one that has little or no significance, however, only a doctor can give a proper diagnosis.

What is hematuria?

Hematuria (hee-muh-TOOR-ee-uh) means having blood in your urine. There are two kinds of hematuria:

* Macroscopic hematuria: when you can see the blood in your urine. Your urine may look red or brown. Also called macrohematuria.
    * Microscopic hematuria: when you have blood cells in your urine that can only be seen under a microscope. With this kind, your urine will look normal. Also called microhematuria.

What causes hematuria?

Blood in your urine can be caused by many conditions. Often, the cause is harmless. For example, exercise can cause hematuria that will go away in a day or so. Other causes, like urinary tract infections (UTIs) or kidney stones, are only serious if they are left untreated. Still, blood in your urine might be a sign of a more serious problem.

Talk to your doctor to find out what is causing your hematuria. He or she will probably ask for another urine sample. If there is still blood in your urine, you may be asked to give a blood sample so that the doctor can check how well your kidneys are working. These tests can also tell your doctor whether you have an infection.

If your doctor suspects kidney damage or cannot find a cause for the blood in your urine, he or she may suggest an ultrasound or intravenous pyelogram (IVP) to get a picture of your urinary tract. This can show if you have a kidney stone, tumor or blockage.

Sometimes the cause for hematuria is never found.
    AKF: Blood in Your Urine (Hematuria)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When you are urinating blood [ 9 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if any men could tell me what this means. My husband is urinating blood what could be wrong with him could it be serious should I make him an appointment to see the doc. Please could you answer this message asap. Thank you

Urinating during sex [ 7 Answers ]

I know this sounds extremely wrong, but is it possible and or common to pee during sex?

Dog urinating blood and won't eat. [ 3 Answers ]

My dog is fifteen(15) years old now and is falling apart to the human eye. He's starting to bleed as he urinates... He won't eat(didn't want him to starve, so I Fed him frosted flakes in milk... and he ate that up quickly). He is also having trouble walking with his two back legs. I...

Urinating pet [ 2 Answers ]

My 2 year old lab mix is urinating while sleeping. She does not wake up during urination. What could be the problem?

The blood shed & the blood sprinkled! [ 4 Answers ]

THE BLOOD SHED & THE BLOOD SPRINKLED In the Old Testament and the New Testament sacrificial "Blood" is spoken of in two ways;i.e. "The Blood shed and the Blood sprinkled." IN THE OLD TESTAMENT WHAT WAS THE APPLICATION OF "SHED BLOOD" RE "ATONEMENT" (the 'moment the Blood became...

View more questions Search