Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gary MOore Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2008, 06:18 PM
    I lost my job
    I Have Two Dwi I Felonies In Upstate Ny And I Just Recently Got Terminated From This Job Because The Back Ground Check That Was Done. What Are My Rights
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2008, 06:34 PM
    Did you tell them on the application you had the ffelonies? If you listed this on the application most likely you may have a case, But yes they can terminate you unless you have a written contract or perhaps a uniion contract.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2008, 09:59 PM
    I'm just assuming something here about the application process since you haven't yet responded to Fr_Chuck's question. But, if the case is that you weren't completely honest on an application, then I agree with Fr_Chuck concerning his answer. He also makes other fine points in it.

Regardless of whether you have a case or not, what I would recommend is that the next time you apply for a job, that you be completely honest on an application. You could even attach an additional piece of paper to the application describing what you did and how much you have learned from making those mistakes, how sorry you are and your commitment to not making those kinds of bad choices again.

I have never seen an application where you were not allowed to attach an additional piece of paper with information concerning you. If you do that, it might just get your foot in the door, so to speak.

Another suggestion that I have, and these would be for positions where perhaps you don't have to fill out an application but submit your cover letter and resume, would be to bring this up during an interview and tell the interviewer the same things that you might write on an addition to an application as I have already described.

I wish you well!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2008, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary MOore
    I Have Two Dwi I Felonies In Upstate Ny And I Just Recently Got Terminated From This Job Because The Back Ground Check That Was Done. What Are My Rights

NYS is an employment at will State - you can be discharged for pretty much anything at any time (unless you have a Union contact).

If your job performance could have been comprised because of your felony history (you were a driver, they couldn't get insurance for you), then, yes, they can let you go.

If you misrepresented your criminal history, yes, they can let you go.

If they hired you pending a criminal check, yes, they can let you go.

I think it would be very difficult have an opinion on proving discrimination without knowing more of the circumstances of the hire, job, background check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I lost the love I felt, I lost the only thing that ever matterd [ 24 Answers ]

Wow I shouldn't even be feeling pain like this, I am so use to it! Anyway it all started 15 months ago and like a lot of heart ache and problems it started with a girl. We hooked up at a bar but I knew her before hand. She use to be with a guy I knew back in high school and since I line in such a...

I'm 16 and I'm lost. [ 10 Answers ]

Hi my name is deanna majewski, I'm 16 years old and have been without my father for years.he likes to walk in and out of my door of emotion and the last time he did he said goodbye.His name is Keith Edward Majewski.He is 41 and his birthday is April 4 1967.I have tried people finder and many other...

Lost dad and even more lost daughter. [ 4 Answers ]

Someone please help? I have a 22 year old daughter who last year at this time received a DUI after a nights full of partying. This happened one week before her 21st surprise birthday party. Which of course did not happen due to the fact her DUI violation was issued after she rolled her friends car...

I'm so lost right now. [ 1 Answers ]

Right now I feel utterly discontent with my life. I feel like I've failed in every way possible so far and I have nothing left to look forward to. I don't know if I'm depressed or not, but I'm very sad with my circumstances. You see I got a job about 8 months ago, I went into it head on with a...

Lost [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm 29 and I feel like I'm a mess. My major issue is confrontation. Im always getting dumped on by people, feeling like a doormat, and I feel like I don't know how to nip things in the bud and put people in their place, whether formal situations or informal. I don't know how to establish myself...

View more questions Search