Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rexof345 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2011, 07:47 PM
    Gas fireplaces that can be vented?
    Hi all,
    I have yet another question.. I am wondering if there exists a gas fireplace or something suitable that I can plum into my existing duct work. I have a goodman gas furnace right now, but its in small house and takes up a lot of space, so I am looking for options to free up some of the space. Thanks for your time,
    Rex
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2011, 08:25 PM
    Even vented, this is a dangerous proposition since the gas flame is not sealed. The only way you can accomplish this is to find a direct vent fireplace with an integral blower and then use fans to circulate the air. Realize that the vented fireplace will waste 20% of the heat up the chimney. If you have the electrical capacity, baseboard heaters take up very small space.
    rexof345 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2011, 08:36 PM
    Thanks I may lookinto baseboard heaters... I just thought it would be nice to replace my electric fireplace with a gas that I could plum into the rest of the house...
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2011, 10:09 AM
    For a free standing unit, some people use an unvented fireplace. However, many local codes do not allow them as the primary source of heat. I picked up a very pretty parlor stove last year at HD after the season that cost less then $100. Has about 30,000 BTU and heats a 1400 sq. ft. basement very well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Vented gas fireplace with noxious odor [ 2 Answers ]

We moved into a new home with a heat and glow vented fireplace which gives off an odor tha tburns the throat and irritates the tongue every time we use it. They have changed the screen checked behind the box with a scope and reducd the level of gas coming in. could the logs be causing the...

Glass-less vented gas fireplace [ 5 Answers ]

Can I remove the glass from a vented natural gas fireplace? It has a mesh screen. There is little heat coming from the fireplace. It is a Heat 'n Glo 36 inch. I would like to remove the glass and run the fireplace to get more heat in the house. We used to have a vent-less and I don't see much...

Vented fireplace and gas logs [ 8 Answers ]

Let me start by saying, I know absolutely nothing about fireplaces. My husband and I are new home owners with 2 small children and we could not wait until it got cold outside so we could use the fireplace. I have lit the fireplace maybe 10 times this year and I noticed yesterday there was a lot of...

Vented gas fireplace fumes [ 2 Answers ]

Our direct vented gas fireplace still has an awful smell even after 20 hours of burning off the smell (the manufacturer suggested 6 to 8 hours of intense heat). The installation has been checked and is okay. The fumes are from the coating on the metal. Has anyone experienced this? We are ready...

View more questions Search