Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Nov 23, 2008, 04:06 PM
    Tube and knob wiring
    Just wondering what Tube And Knob wiring is. My house was constructed in 1952.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 23, 2008, 04:15 PM
    Knob and tube wiring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Nov 23, 2008, 04:18 PM

Ceramic tubes to route knob and tube electrical wires through building framing members:

Wherever the knob and tube circuit wires pass through building framing lumber a ceramic tube is used to insulate the wire from the wood.

These thick ceramic tubes are a good insulator separating electrical wire from wood - if both are un-damaged.

Ceramic knobs to support knob and tube electrical wires passing over building framing surfaces: Where the knob and tube wiring is surface mounted in a building it is attached using a ceramic "knob".

These ceramic knobs are a good insulator provided they have not been damaged or modified.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is knob and tube wiring too inadequate? [ 11 Answers ]

I have an older house with knob and tube wiring. I s that too inadequate to handle a track light system with five7 lights? I live alone. So I tend to turn practically all lights off in the rest of the house, except where I am working. I have 500 amp service.

Knob & Tube [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently remodeling my bathroom. Home built in the 50's with existing knob and tube. Bathroom has power coming into 1 switch that controls lighted medicine cabinet with outlet inside cabinet. Want to add 1 new light fixture, 1 GFI, and 1 ceiling fan (no light). Is there any diagram that...

Knob & Tube wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How do u tell which is the Hot on K&T How do u tell which is the neutral on K&T Thanks rrhaen Any help I thank

Replacing Knob and Tube [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for a little clarification here. I'm in the process of replacing the Knob and Tube wiring in an older 1930 home. Although I trying to preserve the original look of the house the K&T prevents me from installing insulation in the attic. Originally there was only one circuit running into...

Knob and Tube tie-in [ 13 Answers ]

I apologize if I missed this info elsewhere. I have an 80 YO bungelow with seemingly healthy knob and tube wiring. The house has a combination of old and new wiring depending on when past work was done. My question is what is the safest, code friendly or preferred way to mate the old K&T to new...

View more questions Search