Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lightswitch2 Posts: 7, Reputation: -1

Sep 28, 2008, 07:16 PM
    Is knob and tube wiring too inadequate?
    I have an older house with knob and tube wiring. I s that too inadequate to handle a track light system with five7 lights? I live alone. So I tend to turn practically all lights off in the rest of the house, except where I am working. I have 500 amp service.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2008, 06:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightswitch2 View Post
    I have an older house with knob and tube wiring. I s that too inadequate to handle a track light system with five7 lights? I live alone. so I tend to turn practically all lights off in the rest of the house, except where I am working. I have 500 amp service.

I think this is a home improvement question, not a legal question, and should be moved.

Sep 29, 2008, 10:12 AM
    To Judy: Of course it is a home improvement question. An intelligent assumption would be to consider that the poster, (ME), somehow entered it into the legal question I asked, instead of the OTHER home improvement one. Understand now, Judy? :rolleyes:
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Sep 29, 2008, 10:24 AM
    Moved from Real Estate Law forum to Electrical and Lighting forum.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2008, 02:19 PM

To answer your question, it should be fine.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 29, 2008, 03:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightswitch2 View Post
    I have 500 amp service.
    Is that also an error or is your house that big?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2008, 04:20 PM
    Knob and tube wiring probably is inadequate, since it was more than likely installed 80 years ago when electrical loads were minimal in most cases. When was the last time you had an electrician check the condition of your wiring? Knob and tube wiring also does NOT provide a ground, and most insurance companies frown on insuring a home with this type of wiring. And that 500 amp service... is that accurate? Sorry to rain on your parade.
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Sep 29, 2008, 06:41 PM

Actually, knob and tube is safer than the next generation of wiring that put both cloth/rubber insulated conductors inside the same sheath. Ignoring the no ground issue, which is common to most wiring before the early 60's, correctly installed K&T is almost impossible to short out except right at the devices. The insulation is very suceptable to environmental degradation and becomes very brittle, but can be worked with if you know what you are doing and are very careful.

I just repaired a job where that type of conductor was paired in one jacket and whoever tried to replace the timeclock twisted the cable and shorted the circuit. Amazing that there wasn't any fire. Got to love SquareD QO breakers.

As to the original question. K&T is adequate if it is still reasonable condition and it is properly protected with the CORRECT over current devices.

EPM
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Sep 30, 2008, 06:56 PM

Just don't think about blowing insulation on top of it!

I've decided to stay out of this, but let me say this. If it can be replaced, replace it!
    hedlok Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Sep 30, 2008, 07:33 PM

Track lighting is a minimal load and k&t is probably the safest wiring method there is. Lighting does not usually require a ground so that is not an issue. Get some heat shrink tubing and your blow dryer to shrink it on the conductors. Be sure to turn off the circuit before you start. This should go well as long as you follow the manufacturers instructions.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2008, 05:46 AM

hedlok, When does lighting not need a ground, I have been grounding everything, and must have wasted a lot of wire on lights.
    If lighting has no ground, there is a possibility of them becoming live?

Oct 10, 2008, 07:38 AM

I see. Sincere thanks for that piece of information, Sir

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Knob & Tube [ 1 Answers ]

I am currently remodeling my bathroom. Home built in the 50's with existing knob and tube. Bathroom has power coming into 1 switch that controls lighted medicine cabinet with outlet inside cabinet. Want to add 1 new light fixture, 1 GFI, and 1 ceiling fan (no light). Is there any diagram that...

Knob & Tube wiring [ 1 Answers ]

How do u tell which is the Hot on K&T How do u tell which is the neutral on K&T Thanks rrhaen Any help I thank

Replacing Knob and Tube [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for a little clarification here. I'm in the process of replacing the Knob and Tube wiring in an older 1930 home. Although I trying to preserve the original look of the house the K&T prevents me from installing insulation in the attic. Originally there was only one circuit running into...

Tieing in to knob and tube [ 3 Answers ]

When tieing in 14/2 at switch box, what do you do with the neutrals?

Knob and Tube tie-in [ 13 Answers ]

I apologize if I missed this info elsewhere. I have an 80 YO bungelow with seemingly healthy knob and tube wiring. The house has a combination of old and new wiring depending on when past work was done. My question is what is the safest, code friendly or preferred way to mate the old K&T to new...

View more questions Search