Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    likamarie82 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2010, 08:28 PM
    Transferring a property deed to rightful owner
    Ok, I have a crazy situation and hoping someone can help me out. In August 08' my aunt in Japan bought a home for me with the understanding that I would purchase it as soon as I could qualify for a home loan. I am now in that position, however, the deed is in my fathers name. I have worked hard these past years working on my credit score to buy this home. I am wanting to purchase it now however to qualify for the first time home buyers credit it cannot be purchased from parents, grandparents, children, siblings, but it can be purchased from an aunt or uncle. The predicament I am facing is that essentially I am buying the home from my aunt but the deed says my dads name. How do I go about transferring the deed to my aunts? Will we have additional taxes to pay even thought we paid the property tax every year and she's selling me the home for what she paid? She has not made any money off this deal just trying to help her niece. Thank you for any advice or info!!
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2010, 07:33 AM

Hello l:

If it was me, I'd just buy the house as it's presently titled. You claim the credit on your tax return, and if you're audited, you can explain it then. If you attempt to transfer it NOW, you're going to raise the same questions and will probably be audited for THAT reason.

excon
    likamarie82 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2010, 02:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello l:

If it was me, I'd just buy the house as it's presently titled. You claim the credit on your tax return, and if you're audited, you can explain it then. If you attempt to transfer it NOW, you're going to raise the same questions and will probably be audited for THAT reason.

excon
    Why would we get audited? Sorry, I am confused. We have paid all applicable taxes regarding the property and my aunt has not made a capitol gain on this property, she is simply letting me live here until I can get a loan and buy it back for the initial purchase price.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Owner and Contact Information for Property Owner [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know who and how to reach the owners of property located at {address removed}. Thanks,

Who is the lawful owner of a property that is under a contract for deed? [ 6 Answers ]

I am just wondering who is the lawful owner of a property that is a under a contract for deed. Does the seller still own the home or does the buyer own the home?

Who Is Rightful Owner in a Quit Claim Deed? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are renting a home in FL from a landlord. We have occupied the residence since June 01, 08. We received a visit from the "original owners" who are husband and wife stating they signed a quit claim over to our landlord under false pretenses. The false pretense being they were...

Transferring Title When the Owner is Deceased [ 6 Answers ]

My grandmother has lived in her Michigan home for about 50 years now. As she has increased in age she wants to transfer the title of her home to one of her daughters who will take possession of it upon her death. However the house was originally owned by my grandfathers mother and since they were...

How Can A Owner Of A Property Add Someone To Their Deed [ 1 Answers ]

I live in orlando fla I would like to know how can I as the home owner add someone to my deed. What forms do I need to use. I know already that I have to know the pay off my mortgage before I can so this I have requested this information. If anyone nows in this area can they give me a quicl...

View more questions Search