Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    khievchristina Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2009, 04:28 PM
    Who is the lawful owner of a property that is under a contract for deed?
    I am just wondering who is the lawful owner of a property that is a under a contract for deed. Does the seller still own the home or does the buyer own the home?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 04:31 PM
    The seller owns the home until they give a signed, witnessed and notarized deed to the buyer. A contract gives the buyer an interest in the home but not ownership.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2009, 04:50 PM

That's why a contract for deed is better for the seller than for the buyer. The alternative is for the seller to take back a mortgage which means the property transfers ownership. In a contract, if the buyer defaults it's a lot easier for the owner to regain the property.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 04:57 PM

That is why of course it is called "contract" for deed, the seller owns and has the deed for the home in his name. The buyer merely has a contract that the seller will sign the home over to them when the terms of the contract is done.

Most contract for deeds converts to a rental if the buyer defaults in the terms
    khievchristina Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2009, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaB4657 View Post
    The seller owns the home until they give a signed, witnessed and notarized deed to the buyer. A contract gives the buyer an interest in the home but not ownership.
    So, if anything happens in the house, the seller has to fix the problem? Say, the basement floods every time it rains. Does the buyer have to fix the problem, or does the seller have to fix the problem?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 07:51 PM
    That depends on what's in the contract. Some (probably most) contracts say that the buyer will take care of all repairs and maintenance. If your contract doesn't say anything about repairs then you can probably make a good case for the seller being responsible.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2009, 07:51 PM

No we did not say that, you only asked who legally owns the house.

You are buying the house, so what does the contact say as to who has to fix things, it can vary by contract,

In all of my contracts ( I am normally the seller) the buyer has to pay all the taxes, pay for property insurance and is responsible for any and all up keep. Since they are buying the home.

This is why you always get a good inspection done before you sign the contract.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who becomes the owner to the public once contract for deed is signed? [ 1 Answers ]

Good day everyone, I filed a contract for deed with my son through the court 2 years ago. Now, I live in GA and want to apply for Medicaid, and my case worker is saying that I'm over resources because this house, the one that is being sold to my son through a contract for deed, is still under...

Contract for deed, deeding property [ 5 Answers ]

Hi: could you tell me why a seller would have to deed the property to the buyer and then put a lien on the property? Thanks

Contract for Deed OR Owner Finance? [ 4 Answers ]

I was not successful in selling my previous home for $148,000 in summer last year, then my son moved in and back out (he also owns another house to which he moved back... divorce affair.) I found a tenant as of May 1, 2007. She has good references but does not have sufficient credit to buy the...

How Can A Owner Of A Property Add Someone To Their Deed [ 1 Answers ]

I live in orlando fla I would like to know how can I as the home owner add someone to my deed. What forms do I need to use. I know already that I have to know the pay off my mortgage before I can so this I have requested this information. If anyone nows in this area can they give me a quicl...

View more questions Search