Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hackplumber Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Another sewage ejector venting issue
    I'm installing a qwik-jon sewage ejector in the basement. The 2" discharge liine will tie into existing 4" drain after about a 2 foot lift. My problem...

The only existing vent line I can access is the 1 1/2" vent from the washing machine drain. Is it possible to tie in the 3" vent line from the qwik-jon to this vent, or do I need to run a new vent line? This won't be easy... the existing lines are all behind finished plaster/lath walls. I could possibly cut it out through the foundation at ground level and run it up the outside of the house. What would you recommend?

hackplumber
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

May 12, 2007, 09:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hackplumber
    I'm installing a qwik-jon sewage ejector in the basement. The 2" discharge liine will tie into existing 4" drain after about a 2 foot lift. My problem....

The only existing vent line I can access is the 1 1/2" vent from the washing machine drain. Is it possible to tie in the 3" vent line from the qwik-jon to this vent, or do I need to run a new vent line? This won't be easy... the existing lines are all behind finished plaster/lath walls. I could possibly cut it out through the foundation at ground level and run it up the outside of the house. What would you recommend?

hackplumber
    It's far better to flagpole the ejector vent on the exterior of the building than it is to tie it into a vent servicing the drain, waste and vent system.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 13, 2007, 04:48 AM
    Listen to Growler, He's giving you good advice.
    There's a reason that the manufactures mandate a dedicated vent for the ejector pit. Your house vent's designed to pull air into the vent system one way to relieve suction in the traps. A ejector pit vent's designed to exhaust air out of the pit when fixtures discharge into it and pull air back into it as the pump lifts the discharge up into the sewer. So you see the two vents aren't combatable and should not be merged. Regards, Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

May 13, 2007, 06:43 AM
    "anyone have a hole saw that will cut through concrete?"
    Why not run the pit vent up over the foundation out and bring it up the outside wall a ways? This is permissible if you keep it away from under windows or AC units. Good luck, Tom,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage Ejector Questions [ 4 Answers ]

I have a workshop located behind my home. The shop is currently using a very old and failing septic system. I would like to use a sewage ejector to pump the wastewater from a toilet, sink and shower (minimal use) in the shop up to the city sewer line that the home is attached to. The shop bathroom...

Sewage ejector pump [ 2 Answers ]

I had a home built over 2 years ago. We have a full finished basement with a bathroom and a laundry room. The builders installed an ejector pump to get the waste up to the street sewage line, and we have had problem after problem with it. 3 times over the past 2 years, the pump has been...

Sewage Ejector--Venting problmes [ 1 Answers ]

My friend just brought a house with a sewage ejector which only serves the bathroom in the basement. We always smell some kind of damp smell in the basement,particularly the area closed to the bathroom. Does it possibby cause by the venting problem of the sewage ejector? We check all the pipes...

Sewage ejector pump [ 5 Answers ]

I think my sewage ejector pump may be bad. The fuse for the pump popped and when I re-set the breaker, the ejector pump turns on for several seconds and then the breaker pops again. Does that mean the pump is gone bad or do I have an electrical problem.

Sizing sewage ejector [ 2 Answers ]

I am owner/builder in design stage of a new 'log' cabin with basement and just got to plumbing. I will of course hire a plumbing sub-contractor but want to avoid total redesign by 'understanding' enough basics to get it OK on my floor plan. I will post the drain and venting questions as a separate...

View more questions Search