Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    denise myrick Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 08:34 PM
    Dual citizenship
    I am interested in going over to Western Europe to work for one year. I understand you need a European Visa to do this. My grandparents were from France and settled in Canada, where my mother was born. My mother came to the States at 18 and became a US citizen. Does having French grandparents qualify me for dual citizenship of France?

Thank you.
    Denise
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2007, 09:00 AM
    For most European countries yes, contact the nearest french consulate and ask them though. I looked into this for England and yes having a grandparent born there allows you to apply.
    PoliticallyCorrect Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Oct 29, 2007, 08:58 AM
    It is not generally possible to claim British citizenship through a grandparent, only through a parent. Take a look here
    ttp://www.britishhighcommission.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagename=OpenMarket/Xcelerate/ShowPage&c=Page&cid=1109171564665
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 01:10 PM
    This must be a recent change because I applied in Feb 2007 (before I knew all the detials) based on this information below which still appears on ukvisas.gov.uk:

Do I qualify for UK Ancestry?
    You will qualify if you can show that:

You are a Commonwealth citizen
    You are aged 17 or over
    You have a grandparent who was born in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man (see note below)
    You have a grandparent who was born in what is now the Republic of Ireland before 31 March 1922 (see note below)
    You are able to work and intend to do so in the UK, and
    You can support yourself and any dependants without needing any help from public funds.

Note: if you or your parent (who you are claiming ancestry through) are adopted, you can still apply for entry to the UK under this category. You must show evidence of the legal adoption with your application form.
    UK Ancestry (INF 9) UKvisas

In any case every other website I try now says it has to be the parent, not grandparents so they must have changed the law.
    PoliticallyCorrect Posts: 58, Reputation: 3

Oct 29, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Sorry to hijack the thread! The UK Ancestry scheme is for visas not citizenship
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Of course, it's for a 5 year visa. After which you can apply for permanent residence, once you're a permanent resident you don't have to leave the UK and can then apply for citizenship. It then takes another 6 years and during those 6 years you can spend more than 450 days outside the UK.

In the end it is a long road to travel but if someone wants to move to the UK permanently based on the info above it is possible, unless as I said the laws have changed. I spent a lot of time researching but in the end I found out my grandfather was actually not born in the UK, he was born soon after his parents arrived in Canada and thus I wasn't eligible.

What happens after five years?
    After five years, you will be able to apply for permanent residence in the UK as long as:

You continue to meet the requirements of the Immigration Rules for United Kingdom Ancestry, and
    You have spent five years in employment in the UK in this way, without any long periods spent living outside the UK.

You can get more information about applying for permanent residence from the Borders and Immigration Agency. Their contact details are under 'More advice and information' at the end of this guidance. The Border and Immigration Agency will charge a non-refundable fee for an application to remain indefinitely in the UK.
    myaai Posts: 5, Reputation: 0

Nov 1, 2007, 02:18 PM
    Hi
    There V-1 VISA are available to treaty trader ,while E-2 visa are available to treaty investors. Both categories reguire that the United State maintain treaties of commerce and nanavigation with the foreign country, allowing for trade and/ or investment in the United States . Aliens applying for either type of " E" visa must have the same citizenship of the country that maintains the treaty with the united States. The fellowed by one asterisk (*) have treaty provisions ,allowing only for insuara of E-1 visa. Countries fellowed by two asterisks (**) have treaty investor provisions, allowing only for E-2 visa .Countries with no asterisk (s) maintain both treaty trader and treaty investor provisions,and issue both types of visas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Citizenship? [ 15 Answers ]

Ok, I've got a question. My father is a natural born French citizen, living in the United States. I am eighteen years old, born in the United States, my mother is a US Citizen, my father is a French citizen. Would I qualify for dual citizenship because of the French with their "jus...

Dual Citizenship [ 5 Answers ]

Are there any countries where I can pick up a dual citizenship form, I am US born and don't want to loose my US citizenship - but I also don't want to have to get married just to get a citizenship from another country?:

Dual citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello My name is Robert and I'm a legal permanent resident here in the United States, Came here with my parents when I was 4yrs of age. I do run into problems occasionally and was wondering, If I become a US citizen can I still retain my British Citizenship?:confused:

Hello, My father and grandparents were born in Paris, France. I was born in the United States, where I now live. I am interested in dual citizenship with France and the U.S. for studying purposes. I live in Philadelphia, but I believe the French Embassy is in New York. Does anyone have any...

I am a French national and a permanent resident in the US. My husband is American. Apparently, there are tax advantages to my becoming an American citizen. What are the consequences, if any, from the French government's point of view of obtaining US citizenship? Has anyone gone through this...

View more questions Search