Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobburnopp Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 08:43 AM
    Removal of nut holding on pulley on Sears mower deck
    I need to remove a nut holding on pulley on a mower deck. I cannot hold the pulley stationary while trying to remove a stubborn nut. I cannot take of the nut with the pulley spinning. Is there a tool that holds the pulley stationary while unwinding the nut?

BB in Baltimore
    jsfocke Posts: 310, Reputation: 37

Nov 5, 2008, 07:53 PM

An impact wrench is the easiest way to remove the nut.

But, if you don't have access to an impact wrench, you can very carefully (the blades can be very sharp) hold the blade under the deck while you are trying to take the nut loose. You will get much more leverage this way.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 5, 2008, 08:27 PM

I think the nut is attached to a bolt that goes through the pulley but it is not attached to the pulley. The pulley is turning on you but there should be a nut on the other side of the housing. Find that nut and put a socket on it and then turn your bolt head. The pulley spins loose in all situations.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Riding mower double pulley removal [ 10 Answers ]

I have a riding mower and I need to remove the double pulley that is on the engine shaft. I have already removed the bolt but the pulleys will not come off. Is there a special tool or technique I need to use?

42" Sears Mower Deck Belt Diagram [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Sears 42 " mower 15.5 HP and need a diagram for Deck belt and drive belt. I've completed the task on first attempt, but when I start the engine with all controls in neutral the mower deck engages and the blades begin turning. Were may have I gone wrong when installing the belts. I Think I...

Sears 54" mower deck - belt idler [ 14 Answers ]

I have to replace the belt idler on my Sears 54" mower deck. I am not sure where it goes. i.e. inside the belt or outside the belt? Does it go to the step side and be parallel to the centerline? I have a manual but it is not very clear. I called the Sears 800 number. The first guy said the idler...

Sears Mower Deck [ 1 Answers ]

How do I install a new mower deck belt for a Sears model 917.255692?

Sears mower deck [ 1 Answers ]

Hello any chance you would be able to tell us if a 54" sears mower deck would fit under our sears mower 917.250261 (it has a 50" now and the 20 HP kohler) I realise that the 54" is generally under the larger kohler (25 HP I think). there is this 54 " available and we would like to try it but...

View more questions Search