Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LolaP Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Roman Catholic wedding
    My son is getting married in a Catholic church. His fiancé is Roman Catholic and her parents are very strict Roman Catholic. He is not catholic nor has he been baptized. The fiance's family wants to have communion at the wedding and my son does not because he would not be a participant. The priest says it is not necessary and many do not ,however my future daughter-in-law knows her father (who is paying for the wedding) will be very upset. Any suggestions?
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Nov 8, 2008, 07:31 PM
    If the bride's father is hosting the wedding and your son has agreed to get married in their church, then I vote that he allow communion to be served. Communion is a sacrement in the Catholic church and is probably very important to the father. Your son does not have to participate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 8, 2008, 07:53 PM

First does the priest know he is not baptised, it is not allowed to marry a non baptised person at the alter, A non baptised person can not partake of a sacrament, which a wedding is considered one. Also he will have to take some classes and normally sign where he agrees that any children can be raised catholic.

These are often a min for a catholic wedding.

With or without communion is an acceptable wedding, there is a liturgy for both.

It is almost always in a formal wedding to have communion and those that are not catholic just do not partake.
    JessiJello Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    First does the priest know he is not baptised, it is not allowed to marry a non baptised person at the alter, A non baptised person can not partake of a sacrament, which a wedding is considered one. Also he will have to take some classes and normally sign where he agrees that any children can be raised catholic.

These are often a min for a catholic wedding.

With or without communion is an acceptable wedding, there is a liturgy for both.

It is almost always in a formal wedding to have communion and those that are not catholic just do not partake.

Actually I have found that as long as one of them is Catholic they can marry. But, I suppose it depends on the church.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 18, 2008, 12:08 PM

If they do marry, the Catholic will have to promise to the church that any children will be bapisted and raised catholic. Also the Bishop over that diocese will have to give their permission for the wedding.
    This to my knowledge is stlll the current rulings, perhaps some priests do not follow the rules,
    JessiJello Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 18, 2008, 01:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    If they do marry, the Catholic will have to promise to the church that any children will be bapisted and raised catholic. Also the Bishop over that diosese will have to give thier permission for the wedding.
    This to my knowledge is stlll the current rulings, perhaps some priests do not follow the rules,

So, then the point must be check with your own church. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

DIY Roman Blinds? [ 2 Answers ]

I was thinking of making my own window drapery in a style known as "roman blinds". Was wondering where to purchase the needed hardware? Such as pull string roller and locking mechanism. Thanks! Knucklez

Roman Empire [ 4 Answers ]

What was the ultimate resason for the collapse of the Roman Empire?

My wife is a christian and I'm a roman catholic [ 62 Answers ]

We got married at her church and now she is suggesting for a baby girl to be baptised at her church but, I kind of want her to have her christining at my church? This religion thing between us didn't come to my mind at all when I married her. I truly love her but need some advice. I honeslty...

Catholic/Military Wedding [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancé and I have been together 3.5 years. We have been living together for the last two years. Last year he announced to me that he was going join the United States Navy. I wasn't thrilled with the idea at first but when we discussed it, and I realized that he really needed my support, and that...

Non-Church Catholic Wedding [ 5 Answers ]

Does the Catholic Church have a hard and fast position on non-church weddings (for example, an intimate, personal wedding ceremony in a quiet courtyard), or is it left to the discretion of the diocese/parish/priest performing the sacrament?

View more questions Search