Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dmcgiv1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Credit Card Default
    I defaulted on a credit card 6 years ago for $2000. They have filed a suit in court. I would like to settle but before they will talk about it, they want all of my financial information. Should I give it to them before court?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 02:28 PM
    What financial information? Like bank account numbers and stuff? No way... Send them a registered letter offering a partial payment and if they refuse take the letter to court and at least it shows you tried to offer a settlement. It will look bad cause now they are wasting the court's time.

Also depending where you live the statute of limitations to sue might have expired, check with your local courthouse how long the statute of limitations is on collection accounts. They might not even have the legal right to sue since its been 6 years.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 03:06 PM
    Make sure your offer includes the right terms: Account is Settled in FULL with acceptance of the payment of: $_____, and with no recourse (can't come after you again later for the difference). If they agree, give them NO MONEY until they provide you those terms in writing, in advance. They get NO ACCESS to your accounts or financial info. Send them a cashier's check if they agree in writing.

Even if the statute of limitations is up on their right to sue, don't use that as an excuse to rip them off completely. You did borrow the money, you do owe them, at least man-up and get them to accept an official settlement of less money, because then it's mutual and voluntary.

I would be surprised it they didn't accept an offer $800, $1000 max.
    dmcgiv1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2008, 04:20 PM
    I was told the judge can overrule the SOL?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 05:31 AM
    Before any offers of settle, you must request validication of the alleged debt, they have the right to collect, that it is not beyond the SOL, etc.

No, the Judge cannot overrule the SOL. Credit cards are considered open account, so what ever is the SOL in your state for that time is it.

SOL is only for your protection, so that they cannot take you to court after that time. They still have the right to try to collect, but the court is timed barred.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card default. [ 1 Answers ]

If I default on a credit card what is going to happen? Can they make me pay back the debt?

Credit card default [ 1 Answers ]

I have been contacted by a law firm/collection agency which states I owe a credit card company 26K for unpaid credit card payments. The person who committed fraud against me for this amount has moved to another state, although he did sign a Letter of Financial Responsibility from the credit card...

Credit card default timeline [ 1 Answers ]

If I'm forced to default on my credit card how long before I am turned over to a collection agency and then sued? I would like to know how much breathing space I will have to gather money to get back on my feet and for the lawsuit.

Credit default [ 1 Answers ]

Can I be sued for credit card default in Texas?

Line of credit default [ 5 Answers ]

I owned a business which went under and now I have a 65,000 line of credit which I have een sued for. My father was a silent partner and is being named in the suit. He has CD's retirment savings. If they file a judgment against both of us and I can not pay it will they go after his money? We...

View more questions Search