Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WinnieBear1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2010, 02:57 AM
    Why is my 10 year old Yellow Lab peeing/pooping in the house?
    I need help! My 10 year old lab Bella has had 4 accidents this week. We did get a new dog [chihuahua] a year ago, and she is house broken. We woke up twice this week and she pooped in the middle of the floor in the living room. We came home once this week and she had peed on the rug in the living room. Then today we were sitting in the living room and she squatted and peed in the kitchen looking directly at us. We let her out at least once every 30 min [they like to be outside]. She has NEVER done this before. What could possibly be the reason for this, I'm so sad/confused.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2010, 03:13 AM

It could very well be age related.
    Another memebr on this site Altenweg is going through the same thing with one of her older dogs and the vet pinned it down to age.

Has she had a vet check recently?

Jan 20, 2010, 03:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    It could very well be age related.
    Another memebr on this site Altenweg is going through the same thing with one of her older dogs and the vet pinned it down to age.

Has she had a vet check recently?
    No, my fiancé seems to think that its just her being an old dog. We can't really afford to take her to the vet, but he doesn't really want to. I think he might be in denial that she is old.

If it is just an age thing, do I just leave her alone and let her keep doing it.

Could it have to do that she just wants more attention.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2010, 04:47 AM

It's hard to see our family getting older.
    I'll see if Alty will give you some insight into what's going on.

Check back on here tomorrow and see if there are any more replies ;)

Jan 20, 2010, 05:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    It's hard to see our family getting older.
    I'll see if Alty will give you some insight into what's going on.

Check back on here tomorrow and see if there are any more replies ;)
    Thank you so much.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 20, 2010, 09:51 AM

Hi Winnie.

I have a lab as well and he's 14. He started losing bladder and bowel control a while ago. He too will look right at me while he's doing it. It's almost like he's forgotten all his training.

This is age related, but at 10 years I really would suggest getting a vet check done to rule out everything else. Ten years isn't that old, but some dogs do age faster then others.

If it is age related there's sadly not much you can do. You can buy doggy diapers, but I find that most dogs don't take to them very well. It's not a natural feeling and if you buy the ones that catch both pee and poo, it can be a lot to clean up, more so then the occasional accident on the rug.

One thing that we've started doing that does seem to help is to get up in the middle of the night to let him out for a pee. It's like a human being, as we get older we have to go more frequently.

I know it's hard to watch them get older. Sadly, having a dog in our lives means watching them get old. Caring for an older dog can often be very frustrating, but also very rewarding. This is the dog you brought home as a pup, the dog that shared your every day lives with you. The loyal kind hearted furry little lick machine. Try to remember that he's not doing this to be disobedient, he really can't help it.

Lots of luck to you. Let us know how it goes. :)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2010, 08:42 PM

I have a 12 year old GSP who at age 10 decided to pee in the house. She never pooped, but always peed LAKES. It never really matter if she was taken outside regularly or had to hold it, she would pee.

I never took her in to the vet... I always thought it was because she drank water all the time. Soon after the peeing started, she started to "forget" things. I compare her to someone suffering from dimensia. I did get some medicine prescribed to her, but it didn't seem to help. She's not harming anyone being crazy. The peeing in the house stopped about a year ago... She's been doing pretty good.

Old dogs will sometimes forget where they are allowed to go potty. Kind of like older people... I just dealt with it... If you don't want your carpet to get stained, or if your dog is pottying on furniture, there are things that can help.. Disposable diapers work pretty good if your dog will leave them on. You can also limit water intake and start from ground zero on teaching your dog to hold the bladder. Im not to sure if there is a medical way of controlling this, I personally don't like giving my dogs drugs for everything, but you may want to get an old dog check up just to make sure that everything is running correctly..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

2 year old lab is peeing on the carpet [ 3 Answers ]

I recently moved in with my girlfriend and I have a Rottie mix and she has a yellow lab. Both dogs are neutered and have spent ample time together in the past. The problem we are having is her two year old Yellow Lab is now from time to time peeing in the house. One night we were playing and he...

My 13 year old cocker spainel won't stop pooping and peeing in the house/ furniture [ 4 Answers ]

My male dog won't stop peeing and pooping I woke up today and he did it again and then when I got home from work he did it again. We let him out constantly when we can... every morning when we wake up.. sometimes when he eats his breakfast we let him out. Before lunch and after and after dinner....

4 year old dog pooping and peeing in house [ 1 Answers ]

We have a four year old husky that we adopted from a rescue sheltre when he was 1 year old and he was already housetrained. We never used to have problems with him since we were always very good about letting us know when he had to go outside. A little while ago when I came home one day I saw that...

Avoid my dog peeing and pooping in the house. [ 2 Answers ]

My dog is 8-9 months older (MALE).He is very active and friendly with us the only problem is he is peeing and pooping in house and is making dirty so " How can i avoid this and how can i teach my dog to peep and poop outside the house by obeying my order?" .So please send me the answer for the...

13 year old Yellow Lab won't eat or drink [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 13 year old Yellow Lab that recently had surgery to remove his spleen which had grown a mass on it. It did not appear to be cancer. His recovery seemed to go well the first few days but he slowly stopped eating. At first we thought it was that he wouldn't eat his dry food because the...

View more questions Search