Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PaintingMom Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Inexpensive Kitchen Update/ Remodel
    I've been watching too much HDTV. A general question about kitchen remodels. I don't have the budget to gut my kitchen, but this year I would like to add value to the room. How much in return to you get from an update versus a remodel. As in my previous post, I will more than likely have to buy a new dishwasher appliance in 6 months, but the oven and refrigerator are newer appliances. What I'm thinking of doing is ripping out the corian countertops and replacing with granite, then painting the cabinets and adding new pull knobs.

Since I'm new at this, what would the job of demo'ing the old corian and replacing the granite top be? My kitchen has an island and then one standard countertop area so it's not very large. It just seems like too , that all the big kitchen remodeling companies will only do the really big $75000 jobs. Am I better off getting a handyman to do such a small job? I would be doing my own painting and it's really just the granite that I would need professionally done.

Would this new countertop alone bring huge value to my home or are realtors finding that the return is relatively small for just hear and there updates? :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 6, 2008, 07:53 PM
    Your handuman is not likely going to be a good granite installer. Get a few estimates from local pros, many will do small jobs and not stick it to you. You could also consider just cabinet refacing over painting or just new doors. Granite does add valve to your home but it isn't going to add $10K to your home if the granite job was only $2K, you'll get your money out of it but not make a huge profit.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jan 10, 2008, 07:38 PM
    Let me put it this way, if your house is valued at $200,000 and you add $4000 in countertops is your house now worth $204,000... no. its actually worth little to nother more, but what you have done is given a possible buyer more reason to want your house.
    I wouldn't look at it as adding value as much as I would look at it as just an improvement.
    added value will come from adding square footage as well as turning a basement into living space
    PaintingMom Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 03:48 PM
    Thanks for the posts. I think Glavine is right, it will put a possible buyer in a mood to buy with a kitchen that is updated versus a comparable home without an updated kitchen. But I do think you can ask for more money with the small investment in a re-do. If I spend $5000 in kitchen improvements and it looks fantastic and I can write "updated" in a realtor description that has to be of value to a potential buyer. I don't think square footage is the rule of thumb in terms of price, as many buyers want to move into a home that's great from the start without having to improve a room. Yes, there are buyers that are only interested in size of rooms, but if they must paint, add new appliances and so on, they're not going to pay top dollar regardless of the square footage. Thanks again for your posts as you all had some interesting points.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 11, 2008, 04:20 PM
    I think Glavine gives good advise but may be stating the worst case scenarion.If you have a nice house that is not in need of repair or extensive painting and you add a $4k granite counter top you have increased the value of the home and may get a better selling price. It is just very hard to prove since you don't have a control sale of an equal house without a new counter. If you watch Flip This House on DISH you will see them adding a hardword floor for $1000 and then say added value $1500. I have done some flips and that is how we calculate our budgets. As Glavine has also stated you have given the buyer one more reason to pick your home over another. The biggest question you need to ask yourself is are you updating to sell or updating because you want your kitchen to function better and be more appealing to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen remodel [ 5 Answers ]

We need to install our sink and the dishwasher, the existing drain pipe for this is currently blocking the dishwasher in the back. I need to know if I can change the drain from the current pipe into a 2 inch vent pipe. Tough question to ask and hard to describe. Any help would be wonderful.

Kitchen remodel [ 5 Answers ]

Am doing a kichen remodel and I have 100 watts panel with 3 spaces one for the range one for the refrigarator I want to install 12 outlet and 7 reses lighting is this enough circuts or I need to buy a sub panel.

Kitchen Remodel - Venting and Draining Questions [ 2 Answers ]

Two Questions, Same Project: 1) I have remodelled our kitchen, moving the kitchen sink to the other side of the room, so the existing vent is not accessible at the normal location in the kitchen cabinet just after, but above the P trap. Fortunately, I have a full basement below, and can easily...

Looking for good inexpensive faucets [ 11 Answers ]

Still in deep on the bathroom remodel. Finally got the pipe sweating down - thanks to all. It now is the least of my worries. What a lot of reading and practice will do for you. Anyway, I am trying to find some decent inexpensive faucets. I have shoehorned myself a bit because I want wall...

Inexpensive Catering [ 2 Answers ]

I'm looking for a name of a company who offers Inexpensive Catering in Northern California, specifically the Bay Area.

View more questions Search